How dead is XNA?

Started by
4 comments, last by SimonDarksideJ 10 years, 7 months ago

Hi there first I want to tell you about my situation.

Since I have been into game developement I used XNA. I know it is a little late but I recently realized that Microsoft stops further XNA developement. After I read that I decided that the best choice would be to switch to openGL since it is crossplatform and would give me the opportunity to learn more C++.

Now that I started I had to realize what an overhead this whole new OpenGL thing implicates. Now I am wondering, how dead is XNA? I mean I can still use it in windows 7 (windows 8?). And as far as I know Steam Greenlight still accepts XNA projects. At the end of the day XNA has everything I ever needed.

So is it ok to continue with XNA or is it about time to switch frameworks?

Greets,

plusnoir

Advertisement

Don't know much about XNA. But if you're looking for some easy high-level stuff with c# Unity is getting exteremely popular. So your alternative to XNA does not have to be C++ and Opengl.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

So is it ok to continue with XNA or is it about time to switch frameworks?

Microsoft just stopped supporting it. You may still use it as it is unlikely to disappear over night. And even if it does, you have MonoGame.

If you don't need super awesome next gen features it is ok. You could try sharpDX toolkit, it's very similar to XNA and got dx11 support :)

XNA is still the only way to ship games on XBLIG for the 360.

Its still fully supported on WIndows Phone 7 and 8 - though on 8 you don't get access to any cool phone 8 features.

It runs perfectly well on Windows 8 too though you cannot make an XNA app that will run in the windows app store. Desktop mode only

Steam fully support XNA (guncraft is 100% XNA and we just shipped on steam) - they auto install XNA3 or XNA 4 and there's several places you can get managed wrappers for the steam APIs we use this one http://www.communityexpresssdk.com/ - its been good for us and the team has been very responsive

If you are learning to make games and you don't want to go the designer engine route (like unity) then XNA is one if the best ways to learn the principles.

Saying all of that Microsoft have not touched XNA for several years now and there's no plans that anyone knows of to start it back up.

So no news on Xbox One support (though Mono.Game will support it if possible), you really can't ship in windows 8 store and who knows about future phone releases. I'd say XNAs time as a platform to ship games is coming to an end. If you can ship on steam I'm sure they will support it for a while yet but I wouldn't be starting any long term (1+ year) projects unless you make sure that your code also compiles in Mono.Game

ZMan

As Andy states, the dream of XNA is far from dev and it's still supported / taught across the world, Microsoft just choose to not acknowledge it for the moment (it's a bit like VB and that still seems to linger)

Its spirit still lives on in projects like MonoGame which is constantly evolving past the boundaries that XNA originally had including DX 11 and multi-platform support (now supports, WP 8, Win 8, Mac, iOS, Android, Ouya, PSM, Linux and likely more in the future)

Alternatively if you want an engine, then the SunBurn gaming engine from synapse gaming is still heavily XNA based and they recently re-engineered the XNA platform for their multi-platform offering which you can use with or without the Engine (pure XNA or XNA on steroids)

Simon (darkside) Jackson

Indie GameDev for the new world order

@SimonDarksideJ

http://darkgenesis.zenithmoon.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement