• Create Account

What is the best way to use OpenGL in Android

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scacchi   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hello, I would like to start my game in Android, and I already know what I have to know in Java, I have been practising and debugging to the point I have a little game running...

I made it with Kilobolt tutorials (You can find them on google, the robot tutorial)

So, now I want to get started using OpenGL as I understand is a better tool for this, since it has advanced and more optimized physics and drawing functions that are very useful.

Can somebody tell me if there is a tutorial or something I could use?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

#2 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 16150

4Likes

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:15 AM

Sure.

First, get the Android SDK.  

Install it.

Go through the Building Your First App tutorial.

Work through the examples for a while, get familiar with the differences of the Android system vs a desktop PC.

Go through the Graphics and Animation tutorials. 

Realize that building a game is a very large software development project.

Spend several thousand hours working on your game.  Done!  wink.png

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#3 Vikato   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

libGDX

Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.

#4 Steven De Bock   Members   -  Reputation: 435

1Likes

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

I started of with those tutorials from developer.android.com as well, now I'm working my way through Beginning Android Games (which is a good read and discusses a lot of topics (at a beginners level))

I did note though that you refer to OpenGL as having optimized physics, but please understand, OpenGL is there only for your rendering and will not provide you with any physics. You'll probably encounter OpenGL ES in your Android endeavours, and not OpenGL (Even though Nvidia's Logan project, scheduled for the near future will provide you with a full blown OpenGL implementation, but so far I know there aren't any other OpenGL Android devices out there).

If you are looking for a physics engine, then Box2D might be something you are looking for.

If you just want to have your game out, you might want to have a look at libGDX as VIkato already proposed. Then you'll be able to hit the ground running and you won't have to develop your engine from the ground up. Since you'll also need to consider input management, your game loop, animation, sound...

Anyway, good luck!

Twitter: @StevenDeBo

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS