• Create Account

Python 2D game engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 villacu   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

I recently started to program using python to learn (later I want to learn Java and C). And now I think Im ready for developing a very simple game. My question: What is the BEST 2d game engine for python?
Thanks smile.png

Sponsor:

#2 Vikato   Members   -  Reputation: 137

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Pygame all the way, for a beginner.

PySDL2 and Pyglet are good and gaining traction, but I would really recommend pygame if you are starting out.

* As stated below, these are not game "engines" per se, but as of right now, you will not find a 2d game engine unless you want to use an outdated version of python (i.e. 2.4, 2.5, 2.6) but if you don't mind that I guess there's Cocos2d.

Edited by Vikato, 18 September 2013 - 01:49 PM.

Manufacturing metaphores in my melancholy mind.

#3 markr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1653

1Likes

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Pygame all the way, for a beginner.

PySDL2 and Pyglet are good and gaining traction, but I would really recommend pygame if you are starting out.

None of those are game engines. That's not to say they're bad libraries though.

Personally I suspect that you don't really need a "game engine", especially for simple 2d games. If you find a suitable engine, great. If you don't, it's not a disaster either, your game might work just as well with a custom-written one especially if it's simple.

#4 villacu   Members   -  Reputation: 108

0Likes

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

ok thank you so much I'll check those biggrin.png

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS