• Create Account

Effective C++ (book)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic

#1 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

I am reading "C++ for the impatient" and I am going to finish this book soon so i figured I should get "Effective C++".

So my question is, is this book updated?

Should i get this book or there are other books that recommended and more updated than this book?

thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 NightCreature83   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2762

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

The effective book and more effective C++ books are still relevant.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, Mad Max

#3 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Which one is better?

thanks.

#4 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 20513

2Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

Which one is better?

thanks.

Neither is "better" than the other.  Both cover different topics.

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#5 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

So should i get both? :)

#6 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 20513

3Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

So should i get both? smile.png

They are both good books, but they aren't really good for reference. If you want a career as a C++ programmer they both are frequently recommended.  

You don't need to buy them to read them. You can borrow them from a friend or a coworker.  You can get them through your library, or if your local library doesn't have a copy request them through ILL (which is often free to the borrower).

Check out my personal indie blog at bryanwagstaff.com.

#7 Cosmic314   Members   -  Reputation: 1190

1Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Why not make it a trifecta?  Grab 'Effective STL'.  The formatting and cross-referencing are the same.  You're given 50 specific points for improving your code with a copious amount of rationale behind the decisions in each of the books.

But maybe that's getting ahead of things.  C++ kinda grows on you.  If you pile up on books but don't do much programming you won't absorb the knowledge and fully understand what Scott Meyer is trying to explain.

#8 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1639

1Likes

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

These books are definatly worth reading but, don't go out and buy them new as they haven't been updated in a while.  Check the used books on Amazon and you can somethimes get them for next to nothing.

Or just borrow them from a library.

#9 Matt-D   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1451

1Likes

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

See also previous thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/645967-effective-and-more-effective-stl/#entry5082624

#10 MzDay   Members   -  Reputation: 246

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Maybe I'll buy it used because non of the library's near me have those books.. (and i cant request them :\)

What should I start with?

And @Matt-D, do you know when the "Effective C++11" will come out?

Thanks.

#11 ZachHoefler   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 22 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

Effective C++'s content is still very relevant and up to date. It references a lot of stuff that was in std::tr1 which ended up as parts of C++11, so it still discusses some of the newer stuff anyway. The only major difference to be aware of is that you should now prefer std::unique_ptr instead of auto_ptr. Just look up new C++11 features at some point after you've read the book, as it doesn't go into e.g. lambda functions.

Also, the sections are generally pretty short, so it's a great book to pull out when you have a 5-10min break.

For the other books (More Effective C++ and Effective STL) I'm not sure offhand, but you're definitely good to go on the first book.

#12 Irlan   Members   -  Reputation: 1475

0Likes

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

Depends of your context. The acess for information it's really easy today. 
Just google it : the best C++ book for (beginners, intermediate, or advanced) users.
I'm not kidding.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS