• Create Account

Multi GPU out of system memory.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 BornToCode   Members   -  Reputation: 948

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

At work i am working on a system that needs to support up to 4 display with two gpu support. Currently right now the machine has 8gig of memory, but each GPU is taking more than half of it when i look into DXDiag. So the issue i am having is i would like if anyone know how to force the gpu to use less system memory. Because right now i keep getting out of memory when i try to run all four outputs with every effect turn on. I also try to put 16gig in there, but the gpu end up consumming even more. So i just want to know if anyone has any idea on how to force the GPU to use less system memory.

Sponsor:

#2 Promit   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7576

1Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

You can't force the GPU to do anything. DXDiag is an ancient tool anyway and I wouldn't trust what it says. The real question is what is actually generating your out of memory errors, because the scenario you think you're chasing is not one that leads to OOM in the first place. It's possible that you're actually running out of virtual space and need to come up with a 64 bit build, but it's difficult to say without more information about your crash.

#3 BornToCode   Members   -  Reputation: 948

0Likes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

You can't force the GPU to do anything. DXDiag is an ancient tool anyway and I wouldn't trust what it says. The real question is what is actually generating your out of memory errors, because the scenario you think you're chasing is not one that leads to OOM in the first place. It's possible that you're actually running out of virtual space and need to come up with a 64 bit build, but it's difficult to say without more information about your crash.

The crash happens whenever i run the maximum number of movies and my memory consuptions in the task manager goes over 1gig of memory in used. It might be running out of Virtual memory like you said, because right now the build is 32bit. I am going to try to get a 64build running and see if it fixes anything.

#4 MJP   Moderators   -  Reputation: 11736

1Likes

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

By default a 32-bit app will be limited to 2GB of virtual address space, and these days you can blow through that pretty quickly. If you use /LARGEADDRESSAWARE you can get 3GB of virtual address space on 32-bit OS's, and 4GB on 64-bit OS's. A 64-bit app will have /LARGEADDRESSAWARE enabled by default, and this will give it 8TB of virtual address space.

#5 BornToCode   Members   -  Reputation: 948

0Likes

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

By default a 32-bit app will be limited to 2GB of virtual address space, and these days you can blow through that pretty quickly. If you use /LARGEADDRESSAWARE you can get 3GB of virtual address space on 32-bit OS's, and 4GB on 64-bit OS's. A 64-bit app will have /LARGEADDRESSAWARE enabled by default, and this will give it 8TB of virtual address space.

Thanks MJP. that fxed the problem.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS