• Create Account

Do you still use immediate mode for rendering menus?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris528   Members   -  Reputation: 186

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hey everyone, I'm currently coding a menu system for my game and am using sdl 2.0 but i want to convert it to use opengl for all drawing instead, but have no idea if its acceptable to be using immediate mode for this as its deprecated. Is gl immediate mode the way I should go about this or do i somehow use a vbo for menu drawing? I don't have that much practical experience with gl and would appreciate some input.

Thanks, Chris528

Sponsor:

#2 haegarr   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4307

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

I'd not use immediate mode OpenGL (in the sense of glBegin/glEnd) in any new implementation. Reserving a small VBO, writing some vertices to it in reaction of an own drawRoundedRect or so, and pushing the VBO then to the GPU would be a solution that is similar in granularity but away from deprecated API.

#3 Bregma   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5133

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

Immediate mode isn't available in OpenGL ES, the most widely used version of OpenGL out there (think every phone and tablet). Get used to not using it now and you wont have a problem going forward.
Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

#4 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30349

0Likes

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

Most engines that I've used have some kind of "immediate mode" rendering API, (which is usually only used for quick hacks or debug visualizations) but internally it is implemented by copying the user-supplied data into VBOs and rendering as usual (not using GL immediate mode).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS