• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Spherical Wave expansion effect

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bluefarmer   Members   -  Reputation: 180

0Likes

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hi, 

I was wondering how I would go about creating an effect that resembles a spherical wave. I have been trying to find a description but still have no proper way to describe it. The closest thing I have found to it is, http://youtu.be/VdIEwGkFckQ?t=1m25s    from Assassin's creed. The effect I'm looking for would create a spherical wave from the player and show either the outline or vertices moving outward.  (For a sphere this would be starting at the point on the sphere closest to the player and gradually becoming a circle as large as the sphere before disappearing behind the sphere). 

Thanks for any help on this subject:) 

Sponsor:

#2 TheUnnamable   Members   -  Reputation: 803

0Likes

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

A solution would be using two depth buffers - one for your scene, and another for the sphere ( or whatever you'd like ). Now each pixel that is closer ( it's depth is smaller than ) the sphere's depth takes the color of the scene. If it's further, then render it as your background. You can add a margin to render it as glow.

#3 dougbinks   Members   -  Reputation: 486

0Likes

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

I think I would be tempted to use a post process effect for this.

Calculate the radial distance using screen position and depth, you should be able to google for how to do this, then if this radius is smaller than the current 'sphere radius' you output the colour data from your colour buffer, and if it's larger you apply an edge filter to draw outlines. This won't draw polygons as such, so if you want that effect you may need to draw polygon edges or a per triangle colour which you then edge filter into another buffer.

#4 Bluefarmer   Members   -  Reputation: 180

0Likes

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can do using these techniques

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS