• Create Account

A Fistful of Yendors

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 IronMancer   Members   -  Reputation: 113

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

A Fistful of Yendors is a 3D video game in roguelike genre, that is currently under development.

There will be a many features, that will distinguish this game from other roguelikes. Here is the list of most noticeable ones:

1. Nice 3D graphics. Graphics quality is always was a weak link in that genre. So, it will not anymore!
2. Procedural generation of everything. And by everything, I mean everything: levels structure, NPCs, their characteristics and set of abilities, and even that abilities themselves will be procedurally generated each time you start a new game. Which means really good replayability.
3. Rich crafting system, that will allow you to not only set some characteristics of a product, but lets you make fundamentally new items. For example, if you want a wand, that transforms your enemy into a chicken, and then curses it with a spell, that blinds and burns everyone, who will look on that chicken, you can made such wand! All depends on your imagination and crafting components.

And ofcource, the game will be a hardcore dungeon crawler with many quests, puzzles and adventures. You will swing your sword, throw fireballs, rise dead, lurk in shadows, starve, steal, and make many hard choices.

Target platforms are Windows, Android and iOS.

Screenshot:

Beholder.png

Video about workflow:

Blog: http://afistfulofyendors.blogspot.com All news about project goes here.

Video blog: https://www.youtube.com/user/AFistfulOfYendors

Sponsor:

#2 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2664

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:58 AM

Given the good quality of the monster in the video and of the textures in the beholder screenshot, given the ugly low-poly shape of the same beholder (suggesting a cheapass graphics engine that cannot draw detailed models), and given the complete absence of game previews, it seems you are starting your work from 3D models, which is completely backwards: taking care of appearance represents an almost negligible amount of work compared to the extremely complex and completely invisible game engine your game concept requires. A video or text capture of a rudimentary 2D text mode version of your game would be vastly more promising.
Produci, consuma, crepa

#3 IronMancer   Members   -  Reputation: 113

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

suggesting a cheapass graphics engine that cannot draw detailed models

No, I use Unity engine. But I targeting mobile platforms. Higher polygon count will result in low fps on that platforms.

it seems you are starting your work from 3D models, which is completely backwards: taking care of appearance represents an almost negligible amount of work compared to the extremely complex and completely invisible game engine your game concept requires.

I'm trying to write code and make graphics simultaneously.

and given the complete absence of game previews

Do you mean demo version? It will came soon. In a few weeks.

#4 JTippetts   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8361

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

With a name like that, I'll be extremely disappointed if I can't roll a character who wears a poncho and chomps a cigar between gritted teeth as he mows down kobolds with a pair of gigantic Colt 45s. You make that game, and by God you can have all sorts of my money.

#5 IronMancer   Members   -  Reputation: 113

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

With a name like that, I'll be extremely disappointed if I can't roll a character who wears a poncho and chomps a cigar between gritted teeth as he mows down kobolds with a pair of gigantic Colt 45s. You make that game, and by God you can have all sorts of my money.

Not sure about dual wielding, but everything else will be possible. You will just need to find some cigars, armored poncho, a stetson and a colt in a dungeon.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS