• Create Account

PUTT Updates and Finals Thread

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
95 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4531

4Likes

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

THE CONTEST IS OVER!

Finals scores are here!

The rules and sign up thread is here.

A thread for programming (or sound and art) issues can be found here.

Hello all! The PUTT contest has officially started!

This is will be for posting screenshots and updates of any kind about the participants' games. At the end of the contest please be sure to post your game here in this thread. Your game must be posted here by 12:00AM UTC November 1, 2013. And not a minute more. The latest version of the game that is posted here will be judged. Therefore, feel free to post as often as needed until the deadline.  For anyone still wanting to join the contest, they are free to do so. If you have not posted in the other thread, feel free to post here with your update (of any kind) of your game and who will be on your team (if you have a team).

Can't wait to see the entries! Code hard and have fun! smile.png

Edited by Alpha_ProgDes, 18 January 2014 - 09:36 PM.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2212

8Likes

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

I will join this contest, sounds fun smile.png .

My game will be based on time dilation and black holes/wormholes.

That allows for the animated background to be black holes, the ball will be a star, and the paddles will be giant alien ships.

Here is the preliminary design:

Your "ball" is going to be a star that is going to explode at a certain time. The alien paddles are going to be trying to knock the star over into their opponents quadrants to get the star to explode there. Moving the star back out of the quadrant will expend energy from the ship. The energy controls the reset ability and the shields. When the star explodes then the ship with the weakest shields will be destroyed, or if the ship runs completely out of power then the star will explode in that players quadrant.

The time powerups can accelerate the rates of the ships or cause the decay of the star to speed up/slow down. Other powerups could include energy for the ships.

Difficulties levels can be implemented by using different sizes/speeds of ships for the opponent, changing the speed of the player ship, altering the starting shield strength for the player, and decreasing the amount of time the star has before it explodes.

I will post updates eventually smile.png .

Edited by shadowisadog, 01 October 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#3 Phz   Members   -  Reputation: 145

0Likes

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Do we need to provide source code or/and GDD?

Edited by Phz, 02 October 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#4 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

8Likes

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Start screen, just to show the retro/8-bit style I'm going to be using.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot.png

#5 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2212

7Likes

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

I have been very busy lately, but I did manage the start to my title screen:

destroyerofgalaxies.jpg

#6 Zomgbie   Members   -  Reputation: 233

5Likes

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

This seems like fun. I'll join in! Will be my first contest ever, along with my first finished game ever. Perfect motivation.

Behold, the start screen of TimePong!

MctcWMh.png

Omg, zombie! Zomgbie.

#7 Confirm4Crit   Members   -  Reputation: 310

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

Do the power ups have to be asymetrical? It's not really a power up, but I'd like to do it so if there's a volley of X or more, it speeds everything up.

Twitter

Learning to code in general, Junior at FAU

#8 Aurioch   Members   -  Reputation: 1070

5Likes

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

Damn, making art when one isn't artist sure is hard... I'm in process of creating HUD for past few days and it's slow...

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#9 Disturbed_Wizard   Members   -  Reputation: 132

3Likes

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Count me in. We'll see what I can come up with. 

#10 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

Damn, making art when one isn't artist sure is hard... I'm in process of creating HUD for past few days and it's slow...

Definitely my issue too.  My suggestion:  Combine free clip-art with some basic photoshop effects.

#11 Zomgbie   Members   -  Reputation: 233

5Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

Whipped up some concept art on the game field. The background will be animated, meaning the ball objects will fly around with mixed velocity giving some cool effect. I definitely feel the paddles are to bland. They'll get some more graphics as soon as i figure out how they'll look.

yTxxU9F.png

Omg, zombie! Zomgbie.

#12 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2212

4Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

My favorite program for making game graphics (I am not an artist!) is Inkscape: http://inkscape.org/

I find that using a vector graphics program allows me to really tune the graphics to get what I am looking for. There is also a lot of effects that you can apply to the images and it is all fairly painless. Working with something like GIMP or Photoshop for me is hard because I am not good at traditional painting.

The main thing I try to keep in mind when working on a game is color schemes. I like to try to make all of my colors work together. A good way to do this is something like http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Here is a "behind the scenes" look at my process of creating artwork in Inkscape:

galaxiesbehindthescenes.jpg

#13 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2212

5Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

I have been experimenting recently with creating an animated background using pixel shaders:

It is still a heavy work in progress, but it is sort of a proof of concept :).

#14 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

4Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Attached File  Screencast.wmv   1.35MB   51 downloads

Messed up and recorded it without sound, and don't feel like going back and fixing it right now, lol.  Anyway, just showing the start menu is functional (will make the Instructions screen more in depth and appealing later).  Will probably upload a video of the game screen this week.

#15 OandO   Members   -  Reputation: 572

4Likes

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

The absolute quickest collision detection and resolution I could come up with:

Edit: Isometric 2D is allowed right? Yes? Ok good. http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9025/qn9b.png

Edited by OandO, 12 October 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#16 Zomgbie   Members   -  Reputation: 233

4Likes

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:41 AM

Early build of the game so far. Missing the actual gameplay (No paddles!), but it's more as a proof of concept. It has some obvious bugs that'll be corrected for the next build

Not really sure how to get youtube embedded here, so here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbEcZUo1mEw

Omg, zombie! Zomgbie.

#17 mippy   Members   -  Reputation: 989

6Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

I'm making a html5 rendered tennis game called "HighwayPong".
  • The cars are driving on two sides of a road, bouncing a bomb between them, 
  • There will be other cars (and trains perhaps) that might come and ruin your "bounce" so that it comes back at you. 
  • The bomb has a timer, when it hits 0 all adjacent cars will blow up!
  • If your car blow up you loose 3 points. If you miss a ball/bomb you will loose 1 point
  • Powerups will be located on trucks and so and will stuck on the bomb if it hits them. The ball will then change color and give the player a boost of some form. 

Powerups are: 

• OverTime: add some time to the timer so that you can catch the bomb in time without blowing up. Press D.
  • InstaKill: when you hit an explosive vehicle (red fuel canister) it explodes and all adjacent cars will blow up. 
  • BallsOfSpeed: when you hit a police car the ball will gain speed.
  • SloMo: when you hit a ice-cream truck or hit A key, the ball will slow down.

Gallery:

||==\  ||       /\    ||  ||

||  || ||     //  \\  \\  //

|L==/  ||     |====|    YY

||     ||     ||  ||    ||

||     LL==== ||  ||    ||

========================

||   http://mip-map.se/hwtennis/ ||

========================

||\  ||   /==\   ||     ||

||\\ ||  ||  ||  ||     ||

||  \\|  ||  ||  ||     ||

||   ||  ||  ||  \\ /=\ //

||   ||   \==/    \// \//

Edited by mippy, 30 October 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#18 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2212

3Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

I have been very busy and have not had a lot of time to work on my game, but here is a new screenshot:

galaxiesgui.jpg

#19 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2212

1Likes

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'm making a html5 rendered tennis game called "HighwayPong".
  • The cars are driving on two sides of a road, bouncing a bomb between them, 
  • There will be other cars (and trains perhaps) that might come and ruin your "bounce" so that it comes back at you. 
  • The bomb has a timer, when it hits 0 all adjacent cars will blow up!
  • If your car blow up you loose 5 points. If you miss a ball/bomb you will loose one point
  • Trains (if implemented) would run in the middle, blocking the path so that you have to be very quick to respond to the more rapid bouncing. 
  • Powerups will be located on trucks and so and will stuck on the bomb if it hits them. The ball will then change color and give the player a boost of some form. 

A problem is that the player who gets the meeting traffic will have shorter time to respond :/

EDIT: you can try it here: 

You can see screenshots here: 

Mippy,

Your game has a nice concept but I noticed the following:

1. I do not like how the cars do not go to the end of the screen.

2. The red circles seem to get in the way.

3. The bomb delay is too short in my opinion.

4. The bomb moves very slowly.

5. You can not control the direction of the bomb using the paddles.

6. Try pressing space quickly, the cars and bombs seem to duplicate.

7. I never saw any powerups while playing (should introduce them faster).

8. The paddles could also move a bit faster.

#20 mippy   Members   -  Reputation: 989

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

Your game has a nice concept but I noticed the following:

1. I do not like how the cars do not go to the end of the screen.

2. The red circles seem to get in the way.

3. The bomb delay is too short in my opinion.

4. The bomb moves very slowly.

5. You can not control the direction of the bomb using the paddles.

6. Try pressing space quickly, the cars and bombs seem to duplicate.

7. I never saw any powerups while playing (should introduce them faster).

8. The paddles could also move a bit faster.

Thx for the detailed feedback :) I agree with all of them and I'll work to implement them!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS