• Create Account

PUTT Updates and Finals Thread

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
95 replies to this topic

#21 staunsholm   Members   -  Reputation: 247

5Likes

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

Had fun this evening:

http://test.staunsholm.dk/icecube/

Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 01.25.15.png

Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 01.27.25.png

Now, all I need is to turn it into something that I'd actually call a game :-)

Mkkl.

PS! don't worry: credits for music photo, music and sound will be added.

PPS! Code is here, if you want to steal something: https://github.com/staunsholm/ice-cube

Sponsor:

#22 shadowisadog   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2522

4Likes

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:30 PM

So I spent some time today creating the paddles for the game. I have been spending a lot of time on the visual aspects of the game which takes forever since I am not an artist.

galaxiespaddles.jpg

#23 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1688

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

Yeah, I wasted time searching for art and in the end I gave up and started making my own. At least that motivated me to learn using Inkscape a little better, which I had postponed until who knows when.

Making a font or sounds or music is impossible for me and finding something suitable in these areas is costing even more time than actual programming.

My game is running smoothly already, but it needs adding of the remaining parts for some half done things.

#24 Moe091   Members   -  Reputation: 566

0Likes

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I wasted a lot of time on a freelance job because I really needed the money, but I got started today and got a good bit done. I have my general idea planned out and a lot of ideas for features and powerups and stuff. I'll refine it into a clearer design after I get to the point where I can test and try out some of my ideas to see how much I like them, hopefully I have time. I'm not the fastest or most motivated programmer, anyone have tips on that?

#25 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1688

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

I feel its a bit late to start testing out ideas. I would try getting the classic gameplay of pong running ASAP to have something to show and keep you motivated, then add on the mandatory extra features for the contest while banning any thought of other things (aka the creeping featuritis).

I started working on my game much earlier, it feels like 70% completed and there is the saying the second half starts at 90%. wink.png

#26 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:51 AM

I've been trying to do as much as possible... I never stopped to think that I'd be spending most of my October free time out in a tree stand... ^_^

#27 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

@staunsholm - That's a nice screenshot. Do the ice paddles melt as time passes?
Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#28 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

@staunsholm - That's a nice screenshot. Do the ice paddles melt as time passes?

Very nice suggestion

#29 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1688

2Likes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

winter-pong1.jpg

Finally I figured out where the hidden button to attach a screenshot is.tongue.png

OriginallyI had planned the background to be used only for the menus, but I like how it looks ingame and am not sure about making another?

#30 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

A small clip showing my buggy gameplay.

Basic controls are finished, a primitive (we're talking pre-dating cavemen "primitive") ai for the paddle... some obviously flawed collision detection and equally flawed physics. 

Go me!

#31 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

1Likes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:20 PM

WIN.JPG

What you work so hard for!

#32 Zomgbie   Members   -  Reputation: 236

0Likes

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

I'm completely lost when it comes to how i want to implement the powerups. So in the meantime, i'm working on the save/load functionality. Let's see if i can post an updated video later today.

Edit: Save/load done! Well back to square one. Still clueless concerning powerups :P

Edited by Zomgbie, 22 October 2013 - 06:24 AM.

Omg, zombie! Zomgbie.

#33 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

1Likes

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

Don't overthink it. KISS method, bro.

Speeding/slowing the ball or paddles involves time.

;) that should get you started on one or two.

#34 Zomgbie   Members   -  Reputation: 236

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for the tips! I know exactly what i want the powerups to be, i just don't know how i want to add them to the gameplay. Like for example, at a random interval a little box spawns on the gamefield, the player that hits it with the ball activates the powerup. But this just feels bland and boring to me. I want something a little more exciting! ^^ But we'll see, i'm not the brightest when it comes to ideas...

Omg, zombie! Zomgbie.

#35 crow007   Members   -  Reputation: 202

5Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

Here is my first pass:

Each player has to use their puck to save the bricks behind them from getting taken out by the ball or some other power up from their opponent.  First player to lose all their bricks losses the round.

pongmania.png

#36 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

2Likes

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Damn... that's a good spin on it.  I like that.  Well thought out.

#37 mippy   Members   -  Reputation: 1002

1Likes

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

A small clip showing my buggy gameplay.

Basic controls are finished, a primitive (we're talking pre-dating cavemen "primitive") ai for the paddle... some obviously flawed collision detection and equally flawed physics. 

Go me!

I can't download the clip, post screenshots instead :)

attachicon.gifwinter-pong1.jpg

Finally I figured out where the hidden button to attach a screenshot is.tongue.png

OriginallyI had planned the background to be used only for the menus, but I like how it looks ingame and am not sure about making another?

Nice winter theme! The blue number in the upper right corner is a bit hard to read. Perhaps photoshopping in some more snow there could help?

Thanks for the tips! I know exactly what i want the powerups to be, i just don't know how i want to add them to the gameplay. Like for example, at a random interval a little box spawns on the gamefield, the player that hits it with the ball activates the powerup. But this just feels bland and boring to me. I want something a little more exciting! ^^ But we'll see, i'm not the brightest when it comes to ideas...

I ended up applying two powerups by players purchasing them with score-points. I also have a lot of moving rectangles that can apply them. A third option is to apply them at different timed events: lets say you have a timer and when its 10 seconds left you add more speed or make the ball smaller or something. 

#38 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1688

0Likes

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:16 AM

attachicon.gifwinter-pong1.jpg

Nice winter theme! The blue number in the upper right corner is a bit hard to read. Perhaps photoshopping in some more snow there could help?

Thank you for the feedback.
Did you click the picture to view it full size? Its jpg encoded and then the forum reduces the size to half when viewed inline.

#39 Noctumus   Members   -  Reputation: 269

1Likes

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

One of my friends offered to help out with the graphics, but she doesn't have a GDNet account. Would it be ok if I just include her in the credits?

#40 crow007   Members   -  Reputation: 202

1Likes

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

I want to post my game tomorrow but I want to know if this meets the time requirement: if a players brick gets hit behinde them they get frozzen for a time penelty and cant move
which give the other player time to kick ass at breakout. What do you think?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS