[Solved] Crossroad. HGE or SDL?

Started by
9 comments, last by bratiefanut 10 years, 6 months ago

Hello,

I am kinda new to game programming so I am here to ask for some advices. I want to be a game developer and I love games and programming.

I have the required brain and motivation but my question is: which game library i should use if I want to make a kind of strategy game like Smurfs Village for example?

I am used to HGE and I've made some games with this library.

SDL is something new for me but I done a Snake game with the help of a tutorial.

I am more confortable with hge by the way and I am not interested in cross platform development.

Can you provide me an opinion?

Here are some screen shoots of my work:

Explorer's League[hge]

[attachment=18162:explorers league.PNG]

Space King I[hge]

[attachment=18163:space king i.PNG]

Coin Collector[hge]

[attachment=18165:coin collector.PNG]

Snake[sdl]

[attachment=18164:snake.PNG]

EDIT: sorry for my bad englishsad.png

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Advertisement

Looking at HGE, which I assume is Haaf's Game Engine, and it's demos \ games pages you should be able to use HGE to make a Smurfs Village clone.

In my opinion, use what you know and is easier to use.

Engineering Manager at Deloitte Australia

Looking at HGE, which I assume is Haaf's Game Engine, and it's demos \ games pages you should be able to use HGE to make a Smurfs Village clone.

In my opinion, use what you know and is easier to use.

Yes, HGE = Haaf's Game Engine. I forgot to mention that. Thank you for your opinion.

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul. Wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Is there some fundamental limitation of HGE that prevents it from powering strategy games? If not, then use what you are most comfortable with. Any minute spent picking between frameworks is a minute wasted on potential features or bug fixing you could be working on. This is not to say that you should never touch anything else, but if your goal is to simply make a game, then use the proven path to success and use your favorite tool for the job. If you want to expand your programming experience to learn other game development frameworks like SDL, then do that instead.

In other words, what is your goal?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Is there some fundamental limitation of HGE that prevents it from powering strategy games? If not, then use what you are most comfortable with. Any minute spent picking between frameworks is a minute wasted on potential features or bug fixing you could be working on. This is not to say that you should never touch anything else, but if your goal is to simply make a game, then use the proven path to success and use your favorite tool for the job. If you want to expand your programming experience to learn other game development frameworks like SDL, then do that instead.

In other words, what is your goal?

At the moment my goal is to make a game. I am 70% to work further with HGE and 30% to learn SDL. Because I read somewhere on the internet that if you know SDL, in the future will be more easy for you to switch to 3D games. Is that true?

HGE is more high level and you can make games faster. I'd stick with that if cross platform is not a concern.

When you get into 3d stuff you will need to change but that's okay... HGE is very good at 2d and that's a good reason to stay with it. Once you go 3d, you may consider looking for another high level framework or even one of the engines out there such as UDK, Crysis, or Unity, really, if your interest is in making the games themselves.

People tend to build engines/frameworks on top of SDL versus using it directly. For example someone ported HGE to be cross platform and they built it on top of SDL.

HGE is more high level and you can make games faster. I'd stick with that if cross platform is not a concern.

When you get into 3d stuff you will need to change but that's okay... HGE is very good at 2d and that's a good reason to stay with it. Once you go 3d, you may consider looking for another high level framework or even one of the engines out there such as UDK, Crysis, or Unity, really, if your interest is in making the games themselves.

People tend to build engines/frameworks on top of SDL versus using it directly. For example someone ported HGE to be cross platform and they built it on top of SDL.

Thank you very much achild. I think will be a long way for me to 3D games since I am so lazy to learn 3D math... but hey, aren't the best programmers the lazy ones? I will stick with HGE for the moment.

So you know, you don't need to know 3D math to create 3D games. Many engines like Leadwerks, Esenthel, Irrlicht, etc. don't require it and have functions to make your life easier (like calculating the distance between two 3D points for you via a simple function).

I know that there are 3D game engines but its nice to understand how that functions really work.

So you know, you don't need to know 3D math to create 3D games. Many engines like Leadwerks, Esenthel, Irrlicht, etc. don't require it and have functions to make your life easier (like calculating the distance between two 3D points for you via a simple function).

A bit of a caveat to that though, it does help immensely to at least understand the concepts of why certain things in 3d work and depending on what you're doing you may need to investigate the topic a bit more to understand how to make things happen.

For instance it is -extremely- important to know what matrices do in relation to each other and objects but you don't have to necessarily know how to create them from scratch as a class unless you somehow get stuck doing that as a job at a company. Of course at that point taking a little math shouldn't be an issue.

In other words, don't worry about the math but be prepared to learn some bits. Personally I don't enjoy math at all!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement