• Create Account

Ordered delivery nachos, got cigarette smoke...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1120

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:47 AM

I ordered delivery nachos and the person preparing my food was a smoker and they smoked around my food and when I ate the food, I have lingering smoke in my lungs and nostrils. I'm not sure if this is exactly what happened but:

1). The person was a smoker.
2). I ate the food.
3). For some reason, I now feel smoke in my nostrils and lungs, and it's so bad, it's not my imagination.

I have never smoked before in my life. But after experiencing this, I don't want to.

Sponsor:

#2 Erik Rufelt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3209

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Did you want to before?

#3 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1120

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Did you want to before?

I have thought about it. However, if smoking causes you a smokey taste in the lungs in addition to being called a stress reliever by some people, I don't want to.

#4 froop   Members   -  Reputation: 636

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

Did you inhale the nachos? biggrin.png It's weird that eating something that was exposed to cigarette smoke actually gives you smokers breath. Except maybe if they blew the smoke onto the food directly. Or used it as an ashtray biggrin.png Maybe it was just some smokey flavor that was intended?

#5 Erik Rufelt   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3209

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

Cool, this was clearly a sign telling you not to.

Edited by Erik Rufelt, 05 October 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#6 cardinal   Members   -  Reputation: 812

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

Not sure why smoke would linger, generally you just breathe it out. You could be just sensitive to the smell though.

Smoking while preparing food is shocking. Where are you from? Is this allowed??? I would never eat from somewhere that allowed that.

#7 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1640

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

If they have blown that much smoke inside that package, all their germs will be in there too.rolleyes.gif

#8 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1120

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

If they have blown that much smoke inside that package, all their germs will be in there too.:rolleyes:

I might have thought of that. However, I caught a cold recently before that and have gotten over it. Don't take what I say as medical advice but generally once someone catches a cold, they are good for awhile.

#9 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2251

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:40 PM

Let that be a lesson to you.... make your own damn nachos! tongue.png

seriously, it's not that hard... 

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

#10 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1120

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:28 AM

True ChaoEngine. I had some really good nachos once by adding tortilla chips in a pan, adding cheese dip on top, throwing on leftover salad, and baking it.

#11 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5236

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Why are you complaining about this on a game development board instead of complaining to the taco place?

Are you sure it was cigarette smoke and not smoke from a smoky grill? Because you'd normally be sacked if you were smoking in the vicinity of food preparation...

Although: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7669625.stm

Edited by Paradigm Shifter, 08 October 2013 - 07:52 AM.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#12 cadjunkie   Members   -  Reputation: 1274

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Wait...so there was a dead guy on the couch and they just kept making kebabs like business as usual? Or was that their latest victim...er...customer?

#13 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1120

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

Although: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7669625.stm

That makes me feel a lot better about my situation.

As for whether employees are allowed to smoke, they aren't I'm pretty sure, but they sometimes do anyway.

#14 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5236

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

Wait...so there was a dead guy on the couch and they just kept making kebabs like business as usual? Or was that their latest victim...er...customer?

No, silly, did you read the article? It wasn't a customer, it was one of the employees who had died.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#15 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8352

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:51 AM

No, silly, did you read the article? It wasn't a customer, it was one of the employees who had died.

"The shop is now under new management"?! The whole block probably needs to be cleansed with holy fire and nuked several times from orbit - it's the only way to be sure - at this point wacko.png 

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#16 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1640

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

Yeah they should have closed the shop the moment they found there were rats, not wait until they find a human body and then just ban the owner and let some buddy of him continue as is at this messed up place.wacko.png

#17 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5236

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:16 AM

Don't be so harsh. At least the dead guy wasn't smoking. It doesn't specify whether the rats were smoking, but they were dead too so probably not.

Edited by Paradigm Shifter, 10 October 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#18 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4661

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

(dead body in kebab shop)

Wait, you don't know what kebab is made from? rolleyes.gif

Seriously though, this:

It's weird that eating something that was exposed to cigarette smoke actually gives you smokers breath.

Isn't as weird as it seems, actually. Taste is a quite limited sense (there are only 5 known taste sensations, a 6th probably exists, but is still disputed), and olfactory sense plays a big role in the overall impression that your brain gets as "taste".

It's entirely conceivable that you think you have smoker's breath because you have a remainder of the taste in your mouth (which is picked up by the olfactory system). And since you have only one sense of smell, you have no way of knowing the difference!

#19 JohnnyCode   Members   -  Reputation: 207

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

don't worry, a pile of flawor enhancers and a delivery guy who smoked 2 cigaretes in car before hitting you will do this, especialy if air settled on your FE nachos all that time.

#20 mippy   Members   -  Reputation: 1002

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:24 PM

After making out with a smoker you get this lingering feeling of cigarette smoke. Since you were not making out with the chef, perhaps the chef made out with your food? It's a possibility...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS