• Create Account

A good book on OOP?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alpha_ProgDes   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4688

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

The title says it all. I'm just looking for a good OOP book. One that handles Classes, Composition, Inheritance, Polymorphism, and the other OOP related things that I most likely don't know about. Any language is fine as well.

Beginner in Game Development? Read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

Sponsor:

#2 Serapth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5371

0Likes

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:24 PM

The big book in the category is Design Patterns, although some people hate on many of the design patterns included.  It is certainly worth the read.

The design patterns covered in that book are covered here.

In many ways, it's this book... and everything else.  It can give you "design pattern-itis" a very common affliction among Java developers.

#3 Secretmapper   Members   -  Reputation: 865

1Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:54 AM

IHMO GoF's Design Patterns is a very BAD starting place, especially for a beginner. Remember, he is asking for a good OOP book, not a design patterns book, which are a totally different beast.

You don't really need a book to learn OOP, but if you insist:
  • Object Oriented Analysis and Design With Applications (Grady Booch)
  • Object Oriented Software Construction (Bertrand Meyer)

#4 Segmented   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 391

0Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

The book Code Complete seemed good from the little I skimmed of it.

I second the fact that you don't need a good book though. tongue.png

A quick google search yields some good (and cheaper) options:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/concepts/
http://www.aonaware.com/OOP1.htm

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS