• Create Account

I need info regarding maps in browser based games

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 BogdanT   Members   -  Reputation: 109

1Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hi!

I want to start building my first browser based game as my bachelor degree project. What I need is some info regarding certain aspects of the game's development part.

So, here's what I've came up with so far:

I want to make RPG-Strategy game. It will mostly focus on the strategy part, but it will have some RPG elements as well. 

I want it to be an ASP.Net application and I'll be using C#, JQuery,HTML5,CSS3 and SQL Server 2012.

I don;t want any fancy graphics or complex animations and I work with these technologies, so I want to stick with them.

The main problem that i thought of so far is the map. I want a big map, with countries that are made of regions. The idea is that a player conquers regions so I want to be able to click on every region and get redirected to a page. 

My question is: what's the best technology/ language to make this map so that i will be easy to do and to include in my project.

My first thought was Flash, but can I make a rudimentary map in anything else? Like I said, I don;t need any fancy graphics and animations. All I want is a map where i can scroll around and click on the regions i want and maybe change the color of the region according to it's status( something like: red if it's enemy territory, gray if it's neutral and green it it's the player's territory)

Also, if flash is the best alternative, can you tell me if I will be able to learn and do it in less than 6 months ( working around 12 hours per week)?

P.S.: It may sound silly, but would it be possible to do the map with a big picture of the world and then "chopping" each region and putting a onClick event on it? I'm just curious if such a thing would be viable.  

Sponsor:

#2 Secretmapper   Members   -  Reputation: 864

3Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:49 AM

Javascript (with/without JQuery) is the way to go.

#3 Buster2000   Members   -  Reputation: 1588

1Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

You can do this with either Flash or Javascript.  Personally I'd go the Javascript route myself.

You could also use a third party engine that is based on top of one of these engines.

#4 BogdanT   Members   -  Reputation: 109

0Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:46 AM

Ok, then I will try with JavaScript since I have way more experience with it than with Flash.

I will start looking for some tutorials and basics.

If anyone can give me some links to articles/forums where I can find some starting tips for JS animations, I would be very thankful.

Also, thank you for the responses, guys! 

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS