• Create Account

NURBS / line intersection

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Martin Perry   Members   -  Reputation: 1054

0Likes

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

I have circle described via NURBS. Now, I can calculate line intersection, because equation can be reduced and I got "classic" circle equation. However, when I change weights of my control points, I have no longer circle. I have tried to calculate intersection with line, but I am stucked in brain-development phase (meaning on paper).

Is it even possible ? Because in certain configuration, I can get 3 intersection points (but for circle, there will be max. 2 -> equation is of 2 degree). I limited my solution so that weights will create convex shape. In that case, there should be still 2 intersection tops.

And the same later on in 3D with plane / sphere (again, with weightened knots)

Sponsor:

#2 cadjunkie   Members   -  Reputation: 1273

1Likes

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

You can do NURBS/line intersection, but it's not easy. Bezout's theorem states that the number of intersection points of 2 polynomials is equal to the product of their degrees, but you have to count intersection points at infinity, intersection points with a multiplicity greater than 1, and so on. For example, 2 lines (degree-1 polynomials) intersect at one point. Even if the lines are parallel, they intersect at infinity. So what you have is a NURBS of degree p intersecting a line with degree 1, so they intersect p times. 

One way is to use implicitization and resultants to find common roots of the curves. This will be quick for NURBS of degree 3 or less, but for greater degrees you should use subdivision methods. A good link to study implicitization and resultants is http://cagd.cs.byu.edu/~557/text/ch17.pdf. You could also just get a polyline of the NURBS and do line-line intersection tests. 

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS