• Create Account

Name for a fun retro RPG

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3438

1Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

I'm making a classic oldschool western RPG (like: Dungeon Master 1-2, Eye of the Beholder 1-3, Might & Magic 2-5, Wizardry 1-7, Ishar 1-3). I need a name for it smile.png

The game is supposed to be be: simple, fun, colourfull, fairy tale like. No complex mechanics nor heavy dialogue, just a small world to explore and to have adventures. Primary target are old geezers (like me) who wants the spirit of those old games back smile.png

About the game:
- retro, oldschool, classic RPG, for those who liked the PC/Amiga games from the late DOS era (90s)
- it is NOT a remake, it's a fully original game, just stylized like the old games

- it is NOT a dungeon crawler, important part is the exploration of the world above and cites
- first person perspective, 90 degree rotation
- simple and pure fun, you go around slaying monsters and having various quests and adventures
- non liner, not storyline driven (the main storyline is very simple), the game allows you very high freedom in terms of where to go (few locked locations, most are "if you can survive the monsters there, you can go there immediatelly")
- the world is relatively small but rich (no huge empty areas); random, completely unrelated to the main storyline NPCs inhabit wilderness

URPRG-screenshoot3.png

URPRG-screenshoot2.png

URRPG-screen-spellbook_zps3476118c.png

Tech demo if you are very curious smile.png Althrough that's not needed for this topic.
http://silverlemur.com/work/URRPG/UnnamedRetroRPG-Test.zip

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (RELEASED!)

Sponsor:

#2 meeshoo   Members   -  Reputation: 508

4Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

Well, shouldn't the name be related to the background story of the game? You only told us about mechanics, what about the story?

#3 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3438

2Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

Well, shouldn't the name be related to the background story of the game? You only told us about mechanics, what about the story?

The game won't be focusing on the story but on the world. I don't want to tie it to a storyline since I plan more than one game with this engine(world/setting) but I want to tie it with the world.

Preferably, I would use "GAMENAME: SUBTITLE", like "World of Xelfordifalius I: The Goblin Princess" and then "World of Xelfordifalius II: The Tower of Doom", etc. In one game you would be rescuing a princess in another fighting an evil mage.

It's best if the GAMENAME was somewhat generic and fitting to the whole nostalgic RPGs style. The SUBTITLE part is not a problem, just the main name for the game.

#4 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2697

6Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

Questors

Feudal Fantasy

Former Ages

Medieval Adventures

Days of Yore

Monsters equals Treasure

No Dice Needed

BEHOLD.....er oh crap! Run!!!

It's not the size of your sword that matters.

Is that a wand in your pocket?

This is pre-alpha but the cash shop is up and running

okay I might be rambling at this point...but hope this helps smile.png

edit: also change "rise dead" spell to "raise dead"

edit: unless you are levitating them in which case ignore previous edit or alternatively "rise from the dead"

Edited by Stormynature, 11 October 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#5 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1110

2Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

The only things I can think of right now is:

Pixel Heart
Pixelation Exploration
First Pixel

I'll tell you if I think of more.

#6 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3438

2Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

LOL, some of these were really "interesting" :)

OK, let's narrow it a bit.

- the name should not be too long, I think 2 words would be best?

- it should not contain word "Fantasy", it gives an impression of a jRPG (Final Fantasy) and that's an impression I want to avoid at all cost

- also all words relating to techology/graphical style, like "pixel", are not desired (althrough, "Pixel Heart" is a very tempting name, maybe for another game :D)

Originally, I was thinking of things like "Beholders & Unicorns" (but then I learned that Beholder is trademarked :() or "Obsidian Orb", "Amber/Azure something", but these are a bit console like (I think) while I want desktop PC feel. Also I was thinking about "Orb of Power" (meh), and I quite like "something Legends" (or NameOfTheWorld Legends"?)

#7 The_PWN_Broker   Members   -  Reputation: 133

1Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

CrossWorld: Origin

'The time to slay is nigh!'

#8 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6938

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

...where's your space empire management game?

#9 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3438

0Likes

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'm not making any space empire management game, I never said I did, I'm *talking* about "how a space empire management game could work in case I decide to make one one day" :) The RPG one is the one I'm *making*, that's a subtle, yet a significantly big difference :)

Now, invent me one title for the RPG I'm making :)

#10 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2697

3Likes

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:49 AM

Acolytes and Armour

Untold Legends

Fornaldarsaga

Heroes of Renown

Legends of Chivalry

Mead Tales

The Lands of AAAAAAAAGH!

Fantastical Legends

When facing Dragon's, run faster than your Squire

#11 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6938

2Likes

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

I'm not making any space empire management game, I never said I did, I'm *talking* about "how a space empire management game could work in case I decide to make one one day" smile.png The RPG one is the one I'm *making*, that's a subtle, yet a significantly big difference smile.png

Now, invent me one title for the RPG I'm making smile.png

Duly noted (and a bit disappointed!).

As far as the title is concerned, I always liked how 'Eye of the Beholder' referred obviously to the creature, but also to the 'first person' nature of the game.

In that train of thought, I'd go with things such as:

Oculus Talionis (eye of retaliation)

Primus Persona Casus (first person adventure)

ad Adventurum (to adventure)

and yes, I'm part of those that find it fancy when my game's name is latin (and not wanna-be latin, mind you).

#12 mippy   Members   -  Reputation: 1002

3Likes

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

I would go with something related to the outdoorsy, wandering spirit of the game:  

• Heroes of the Highlands (snow?)
  • Plainquest (plains, quests in the open)
  • Wanderers of the Flatland - The Quest of the Eternal Unknown of Utter Importance

Edited by mipmap, 12 October 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#13 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6938

1Likes

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:11 PM

Plainquest sounds like something simplistic enough to stick in people's head. I don't like the aesthetics of it, but it could be a serious hit. It's as 'stupidly simple' as 'minecraft'

#14 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3438

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

OK, I think I made up my mind and have choosen a name :) Thanks a lot everyone, it was helpful and refreshing reading other peoples ideas. Also if you have more of these, please still post them, I frequently have problem with this naming thing so reading others ideas is interesting.

BTW, here is the topic about the game: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/648921-minotaurs-unicorns-old-school-rpg/

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS