• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Texture atlas for octree-based voxel

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kiel368   Members   -  Reputation: 225

0Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hi!

I'm creating an octree-based voxel engine in Unity and I'm a bit stuck at how to properly do texturing. The biggest blocks possible are 8m. I want textures to be 64px per 1m, but as repeating textures is impossible in the atlases, it'd mean that i have to manualy (or using a script, doesn't matter) copy the same texture 8 times or make it 8 * 64 = 512px big. Now image I have 256 diffrent textures to be used. The size of the texture atlas constructed would be sqrt(256) * 512 = 8192px. Now image i have 1024 textures, and i'm running on a mobile platform. I don't think it is really possible to use such big textures on the mobile and it is extremely inconvienient for me if, let's say, i want textures to be applied like 1 repeat = 1 meter - i'd have to create a 8x8 texture tile and put it then in the atlas. Is it possible to somehow repeat the textures or is there any better solution for the problem, given that max number of textures = 4096 and i'm using one of TEXCOORDS already.

Sponsor:

#2 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5570

2Likes

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

You can do it if it uses pixel shaders by wrapping the UVs yourself via fmod. I don't know if your platform uses pixel shaders though. EDIT: Looks like you need version 2 shaders minimum though. And it's going to affect performance of course.

Edited by Paradigm Shifter, 11 October 2013 - 04:57 PM.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS