• Create Account

A thread reboot?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shane C   Members   -  Reputation: 735

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Something I'm becoming serious about is making a Final Fantasy VI like game. Not to the point that I get in trouble with Square for invading their copyrights, I just want to mimmic a good game enough to have a good game. Kind of like taking a Mario and making a Sonic.

I pretty much created a thread on this but it wasn't very helpful: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/648755-wasting-potential-and-seeking-cloning/. I wouldn't go so far to say there wasn't good advice in it, there probably was, it just wasn't really on the subject I was looking for, or wasn't very helpful to me. I'd like to maybe try rebooting the thread and focus solely on a few things I'm looking for:

1. In what order I should make the parts of the game.

2. I want the community to challenge me to do things that they think would be good.

3. (Bonus) Maybe have the community dissect a Final Fantasy game telling me what worked well, what didn't. I have my own opinions on this, but there's always the chance I might have overlooked something.

And by reboot, I mean have the thread I linked to locked and start over with a new thread, maybe. But where would I post it? For Beginners? The Lounge?

Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, and should take the lack of advice as a sign the community doesn't know. But it's still a relevant topic - I mean, if someone is making a game like Final Fantasy VI, there are many aspects that can be discussed.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 14708

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:40 PM

Go ahead!

I'd recommend simply starting a new topic with a similar explanation to the one given here: link to the original topic, and clearly explain the different feedback that you're after.  You might even consider starting a completely separate topic for your third (bonus) question of attempting to dissect a Final Fantasy title.

As long as you're polite, explain yourself clearly, and don't flood the forum with too many very similar topics I think you'll find that people should respond pretty well.

But where would I post it? For Beginners? The Lounge?

Your first two points ("what order to make things in" and "being challenged by the community") are probably best suited to For Beginners.  A dissection of the existing games is probably best suited to Game Design.  You might also enquire about the story/world/dialogue in Writing For Games.

Hope that's helpful! smile.png

#3 Shane C   Members   -  Reputation: 735

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

Thanks! :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS