• Create Account

Minotaurs & Unicorns (old-school RPG)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#1 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3248

3Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

Note: After a break I'm resuming work on my nostalgic RPG, I estimate/hope I can release something playable before the end of this year, here is an old topic http://www.gamedev.net/topic/635266-oldschool-retro-rpg-feedback-and-ideas-needed/ . In this topic I don't have a specific questions, just would like to get your overall feedback on anything you think I should know, your feelings on the game, random ideas, what you think, etc. I will create topics for specific issues a bit later.

I have been making an oldschool retro RPG (western, not jRPG) and now I have an alpha available. I would not mind your feedback smile.png

What the game is about:
- retro, oldschool, classic RPG, for those who liked the PC/Amiga games from the late DOS era (90s)
- it is NOT a remake, it's a fully original game, just stylized like the old games
- first person perspective, 90 degree rotation
- simple and pure fun, you go around slaying monsters and having various quests and adventures
- non liner, not storyline driven (the main storyline is very simple), the game allows you very high freedom in terms of where to go (few locked locations, most are "if you can survive the monsters there, you can go there immediatelly")
- the world is relatively small but rich (no huge empty areas); random, completely unrelated to the main storyline, NPCs inhabit wilderness

urrpg-screen-eyecombat_zps3435cae4.png

urrpg-screen-barrier_zps7ddb6557.png

urrpg-screen-spellbook_zpsae71f41f.png

DOWNLOAD:
http://silverlemur.com/work/URRPG/UnnamedRetroRPG-Test.zip (Windows only for now, Mac later)
(early alpha, unplayable, many things do not work yet, but you can get the feel of it from this)

Edited by Acharis, 14 October 2013 - 05:31 AM.

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (BETA)

Sponsor:

#2 mippy   Members   -  Reputation: 1002

3Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:39 AM

Some parts of the interface makes it playable on tablets (big arrow buttons and such) but other controls are too small (like scrollbuttons in the menu). Do you have plans on porting it to a touch interface?

#3 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6481

1Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

did you do the art?

#4 Stormynature   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2675

2Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:43 AM

As a completely separate comment which is not helpful.   It is very nice to see that in facing a beholder that close - all of those characters have melted faces -- this is a good thing smile.png 'cause beholder's really do kick ass.

note: I figure the melted faces is just you showing damage taken at the time of screenshot.

Edit: On the second screenshot you show a tombstone taking damage - I assume that this was actually a killing blow. You might consider a slightly different graphic for showing a killing blow or alternatively have the character portrait take the damage then the tombstone replacing.

Edit: Minotaurs & Unicorns  --- this is indeed a horny dilemma :)

Edited by Stormynature, 14 October 2013 - 05:56 AM.

#5 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3248

2Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:18 AM

Some parts of the interface makes it playable on tablets (big arrow buttons and such) but other controls are too small (like scrollbuttons in the menu). Do you have plans on porting it to a touch interface?

No, I want to concentrate on PC only and release it ASAP. But, I have heard this suggestion a few times already, so... I will definitely consider it after the rlelease (or more probably when/if I would be making Minotaurs & Unicorns II :D)

did you do the art?

Take a guess :D

Hint: does it look like made by a real artist? :)

As a completely separate comment which is not helpful.   It is very nice to see that in facing a beholder that close - all of those characters have melted faces -- this is a good thing smile.png 'cause beholder's really do kick ass.

note: I figure the melted faces is just you showing damage taken at the time of screenshot.

Well, the real reason is that the portraits are very poor quality at the moment, so I tried to capture screens when they were getting a massive damage (so their ugly faces are covered) or most of them are already dead :)

And yeah, the floating eye (beholder is trademraked :() rocks. Not clue why but everyone I ask agrees on this :D

Edit: Minotaurs & Unicorns  --- this is indeed a horny dilemma smile.png

Yeah, sure, make fun of a poor coder who had a hard time inventing the title :) Actually, the moment when I finally made up my mind on the title was a very happy one (I definitley prefer debugging the code than invent names/titles...)

#6 mippy   Members   -  Reputation: 1002

2Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

mipmap, on 14 Oct 2013 - 1:39 PM, said:

snapback.png

No, I want to concentrate on PC only and release it ASAP. But, I have heard this suggestion a few times already, so... I will definitely consider it after the rlelease (or more probably when/if I would be making Minotaurs & Unicorns II biggrin.png)

I was asking because then I don't understand why you have the arrow buttons in the bottom right corner smile.png I'ts usually important to give the player cues about what "state" the game is in. Perhaps you could utilize this corner better.

You seem to have a character selected, perhaps you could use the corner to present "static" quest info, weapon selection and other stats here. Life and mana seems to be displayed next to the character portrait with graphics. 

Edited by mipmap, 14 October 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#7 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6481

1Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

well it looks decent. Because of my ohrrpgce days I have respect for people that do their own art without necessarily being skilled at it. Faces look ok and everything else makes sense. Gratz

#8 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1616

2Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:07 AM

I was asking because then I don't understand why you have the arrow buttons in the bottom right corner smile.png I'ts usually important to give the player cues about what "state" the game is in. Perhaps you could utilize this corner better.

You seem to have a character selected, perhaps you could use the corner to present "static" quest info, weapon selection and other stats here. Life and mana seems to be displayed next to the character portrait with graphics.

The interface instantly made me think of Might&Magic III, which I loved playing back then, maybe thats why he made it look like that.smile.png

At least the monster could profit from a few extra pixels though.

#9 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3248

0Likes

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

I was asking because then I don't understand why you have the arrow buttons in the bottom right corner
But... but... it was always in the right bottom corner since the dawn of ages :) Always! Dungeon Master, Eye of Beholder, name any of these, it was always there. I can't imagine it being anywhere else :)

In short, it's there purely for nostalgia and mood reason.

#10 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1103

2Likes

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

I really like your game from the screenshots, and I like the name chosen. I will be following it.

#11 wodinoneeye   Members   -  Reputation: 679

2Likes

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

And smartphones  (yes big buttons sucking up screen space is a given for such games)   The coarse (retro) graphics is not bad (I worry about games that try to be too detailed and require holding a smartphone 6 inches from your face to enable seeing  details -- and the poor posture/strain that can cause)

--------------------------------------------Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

#12 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3248

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

Homepage (temporary) http://www.silverlemur.com/minotaursandunicorns/

Any quick improvements you can think of (note it's just for now, so I don't want to spend the time to polish the website, just say if it's OK)?

#13 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1103

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:35 AM

Homepage (temporary) http://www.silverlemur.com/minotaursandunicorns/
Any quick improvements you can think of (note it's just for now, so I don't want to spend the time to polish the website, just say if it's OK)?

I'm not a website designer, but you will get critiques from other people, and on various things. Most people for some reason don't like black websites. Also, the amount of information on the page could be a lot better. Or rather, you could leave the page the same and have a link directing them to more information.

Hope this helps. And this is only my observation - the opinions of this community may be different.

#14 Orymus3   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6481

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

Cool website. Like the About me Comment ;)

#15 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1103

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

I did not see an "About me" comment. Maybe the website doesn't work correctly on my iPad 4. -If there is more than just the main page of information, he can disregard my comment about needing more information.

#16 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1616

2Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

I also dont see much text and the only link is for the download. What I like is that the natural old school screen color is used for the website about an old school game and not overly bright white, like so many supposedly modern people do, who either go with the trend or think a device sending out light was the same as an object absorbing light.

#17 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3248

1Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

I did not see an "About me" comment. Maybe the website doesn't work correctly on my iPad 4. -If there is more than just the main page of information, he can disregard my comment about needing more information.

He modified the URL and went to the root :) You can't see it normally from the link I gave.

#18 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3248

0Likes

Posted 17 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

I need an advice. About the menu (load/save/options).

Right now, you click menu and you are brought to the main menu with a full screen and separate music. I think it might be annoying since usually you want just load/save? So, maybe I should make some sort of "mini menu", like a box popping up inside the game with "resume/load/save/options/back to main menu"?

I don't know... I have hard time deciding on this. What you recommend?

#19 Navezof   Members   -  Reputation: 1104

2Likes

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Forcing the player to go back to the main menu in order to save? Bad idea in my opinion. A little pop-up with the "resume/load/save/options/back to main menu" is way better.

From the screen, it really fells old-school and pretty good, and I have only one feed-back :

- The main window seems a little bit confusing, the monster are too big.

Other than that I can only wish you good luck :)

#20 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3248

0Likes

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

More about the menu.

Assuming there is a mini menu (popup) "resume/load/save/options/back to main menu" and the main menu (full scree with music). What to put on the main menu?

Should there be resume and save? Or these should be available via the mini menu only? If there is an unsaved game should there be a warning when you try to go from the mini menu to the main menu? SHould going to the main menu "close" the game session in progress?

Also, a technical note. I have a very peculiar data storage system, the game is saved as it goes (entering a new location saves the old one in the temporary game folder). The Save function simply saves the current location(exits it) and saves global data (party, equipment, quests) then it copies the temporary game folder to the save folder. So technicly, after quiting and running the game again you would be able to resume it even if you have not saved (althrough you will be moved "one location back"). I'm not sure if I should disable this and force load after running the game again (to avoid confusion) or to keep this "side effect"...

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS