• Create Account

New to game programming need advice

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 GameDeveloper933   Members   -  Reputation: 110

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hey everyone :) I am new to game programming and need advice on what is the best way to learn c++/allegro together as one. Reason i say i would like to learn both together is because i find it easier to not have to learn 2 seperate things. I do have background in programming with over 6 years programming in web based languages such as PHP,JAVASCRIPT etc.. so any advice would help thanks.

Sponsor:

#2 Poigahn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 520

1Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I am currently doing the samething you are in exactly the same to areas.  So this is what I am doing which seems to be helping me.

In C++  :> I am taking code that I wrote in another language and writing it in C++.  I am taking Blocks of code that are related that I know work, and I am making them work in C++.  Here I am focusing on text only at this point so I can focus on learning the C++ language and how it relates to my game code.

In Allegro  >  Here I am focusing on learning implementing the Allegro Library and Puting images on the screen.  Next I will look at creating my Animations sequences in the 2D format.  I am using images from the same game, so that I know they work.  This allows me to focus on presenting these images and the animations, without  slowing myself down by worrying about the gaming code.

Once I am comfortable with working with both seperately then and only then will I combine the 2 together.  That is basically how I handle all my stuff.  By focusing on 1 aspect at a time, then copy/paste everything together.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS