• Create Account

We need your feedback on a survey! Each completed response supports our community and gives you a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card!

Tile picking in isometric game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 smittix   Members   -  Reputation: 245

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm working on an isometric game and originally I was using a tile size ratio of 2:1. After doing some research, it looks like the standard now seems to be a ratio of 4:3 for mobile games, so I began converting it to 4:3, but now I'm having issues with tile picking. Originally I was using the following code to perform the pick, and this works perfect when the tile size ratio is 2:1:

// mouseX & mouseY are the screen space pick locations
var gridSize = 10;
var tileWidth = 200;
var tileHeight = 100; // 200/100 = ratio of 2:1

var tileY = ((mouseY*2)-((gridSize*tileWidth)/2)+mouseX)/2;
var tileX = mouseX - tileY;
tileY = Math.round(tileY/tileHeight);
tileX = Math.round(tileX/tileHeight);

When I change tileHeight to 150, which changes the ratio to 4:3, this code obviously no longer works. I'm having trouble getting the math right on this one with the new ratio - anyone have any experience with this?

Sponsor:

#2 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2130

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

Try this and see if it works:

var tileY = ((mouseY*(4/3))-((gridSize*tileWidth)*(3/4))+mouseX)*(3/4);

I just replaced your 2:1 ratio math with a 4:3 ratio.

#3 smittix   Members   -  Reputation: 245

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Try this and see if it works:

var tileY = ((mouseY*(4/3))-((gridSize*tileWidth)*(3/4))+mouseX)*(3/4);

I just replaced your 2:1 ratio math with a 4:3 ratio.

Unfortunately not, thank you for the help though. I'm pretty confident that the calculation of tileX will also change with a different ratio.

#4 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2130

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

Unfortunately not, thank you for the help though. I'm pretty confident that the calculation of tileX will also change with a different ratio.

I'd have to rethink the tileY calculation, but since the tileY calculation is used for tileX, I am not so sure.

#5 smittix   Members   -  Reputation: 245

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

I put together some demos to act as an example of what I'm attempting to achieve. The first example uses a 2:1 ratio and works perfectly. The second example uses a 4:3 ratio and does not work at all.

2:1 ratio (works) http://cssquaredgames.com/iso/iso.html

4:3 ratio (doesn't work) http://cssquaredgames.com/iso/iso_4x3.html

Any help is much appreciated.

#6 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 21217

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

You could use a mouse map. There were some articles on GameDev.net years ago that explained them: Here's one (and a thread elaborating on it), here's another.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#7 smittix   Members   -  Reputation: 245

0Likes

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:39 PM

You could use a mouse map. There were some articles on GameDev.net years ago that explained them: Here's one (and a thread elaborating on it), here's another.

That looks interesting, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS