• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Porting D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kjell Andersson   Members   -  Reputation: 428

0Likes

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

I'm trying to get out of using D3DX since it is deprecated as of the Windows 8 SDK.

My application is DirectX 9 x64 and I have tried replacing a call to D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface() with StretchRect() or UpdateSurface() without any luck. The result is always a failed HRESULT.

What I'm trying to do is copy data from a surface into a texture that can be used for rendering onto a quad using DrawPrimitiveUP().

Does anyone know how D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface() is implemented behind the scenes, since it seems to be able to copy data between my surfaces?

Below is the code snippet in which I would like to replace D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface. A general discussion on better ways to implement this is also welcome.

void OnNewSurfaceArrived(IDirect3DSurface9 *pSurface)
{
	D3DSURFACE_DESC surfaceDesc;
	pSurface->GetDesc(&surfaceDesc);
	if (m_pTexture == NULL) {
		m_pDevice->CreateTexture(surfaceDesc.Width, surfaceDesc.Height, 1, surfaceDesc.Usage, surfaceDesc.Format, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &m_pTexture, NULL);
		m_pTexture->GetSurfaceLevel(0, &pTextureSurface);
	}
	D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface(pTextureSurface, NULL, NULL, pSurface, NULL, NULL, D3DX_DEFAULT, 0);

m_pDevice->BeginScene();

struct D3DTLVERTEX
	{
	  float x, y, z, rhw;
	  FLOAT tu, tv;
	};
	UINT x = 0;
	UINT y = 0;
	UINT w = m_d3dpp.BackBufferWidth;
	UINT h = m_d3dpp.BackBufferHeight;
	D3DTLVERTEX qV[4] = {
		{ (float)x,	(float)(y+h),	0.0f, 1.0f,	0.0, 1.0},
		{ (float)x,	(float)y ,	0.0f, 1.0f,	0.0, 0.0},
		{ (float)(x+w),	(float)(y+h),	0.0f, 1.0f,	1.0, 1.0},
		{ (float)(x+w),	(float)y,	0.0f, 1.0f,	1.0, 0.0}
	};
	m_pDevice->SetFVF(D3DFVF_XYZRHW | D3DFVF_TEX1);
	m_pDevice->SetTexture(0, m_pTexture);
	m_pDevice->DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2, qV, sizeof(D3DTLVERTEX));

m_pDevice->EndScene();
	m_pDevice->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);
}

Edited by Kjell Andersson, 16 October 2013 - 01:55 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Real_Noname   Members   -  Reputation: 276

1Likes

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

You didn't show the code that isn't working, but from my experience, while using UpdateSurface or StreachRect you must be VERY careful which surface is in which memory pool and what usage they have.

For example, UpdateSurface has a restriction that destination surface must be in default pool, but source on the contrary must be in systemmem pool. For StreachRect both surfaces must be in default pool, AND if you are using a texture surface for this operation your driver must support it (not to mention that compressed formats are not supported).

//====== POWER IN CODE =======

// Homepage: http://en.coderulers.info

#3 Kjell Andersson   Members   -  Reputation: 428

0Likes

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

After having solved the problem with enabling Direct3D 9 debug runtime again after Microsoft broke this with an update, I have found the reason why StretchRect is not working.

"Direct3D9: (ERROR) :SrcSurface was not allocated with this Device". StretchRect fails.

The problem is that the surface I'm trying to copy onto a texture is originating from a Custom EVR presenter which has its own D3DDevice.

The question still remains though - how is D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface able to copy the contents?!

#4 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3694

0Likes

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

In that case it's probably doing the copy via system RAM. Lock source, Fetch data, Unlock source, Lock target, copy data, unlock target.

Plus maybe color format conversion.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS