Any other libGDX users around gdnet?

Started by
4 comments, last by minibutmany 10 years, 5 months ago

Hey all

I'm curious how many others here are using libGDX. I usually post on their official forums, but I'm wondering if there are enough libgdx users around gdnet to post here instead. I've seen a few people post libgdx questions but they were all a while back.

Anyone from around here completed any games? WIP?

libGDX users, assemble!

dWDEICh.jpg

Advertisement

I've poked around it awhile ago, and was strongly considering it for several games, but they are all on the back burner for other things.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

I've started looking at libgdx this month.

It piqued my interest mainly because it's supposed to have a built-in GUI library, something sorely lacking in many game libraries. Its documentation leaves something to be desired though. For example, setting up a UI apparently requires you to initialize a Skin, which is defined by a texture atlas and a JSON data file, but I haven't seen an explanation on how to write this data file. I get the impression that most users are copying the skin data file and texture atlas from one of libgdx's example projects and just tweak the atlas.

Edit: No wait, the Skin doc is right here. A bit sparse, but not completely hopeless.

libgdx also seems to have had an update to its API, so a few online tutorials are now out of date.

I used libgdx for an Ouya title at the last Global Game Jam. Documentation was the biggest issue I ran into with it. That and a small bug in their included version of Box2D, but that's not really libgdx's fault. It seems capable enough for the few times I've used it, but aside from that and a few throwaway projects, I don't have a whole lot of experience with it.

So, I'm assembled, I guess?

Tried it three years ago for a hobby project, ran into issues with its limited 3D model loading capabilities at that time. And yeah, pretty large holes in the docs as well.

I've been using it for a few months since Slick kinda went underground. I used it on the recent week of awesome contest, and plan on using it for the upcoming Ludum Dare.

I agree the documentation is pretty bad, and it is annoying that the origin for graphics is in the bottom left corner, but for mouse coordinates it is in the top left.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement