• Create Account

Computer help please im stuck..

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 chris3d165   Members   -  Reputation: 384

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hello kind Dev's 

My father bought a new machine, which came with windows 8, but he had asked me to take it off and dual boot windows 7 and windows xp to it,So i got the windows xp disk and went up to install that 1st so i had went through the Xp setup and formatted the drive and made 2 partitions and installed xp on the smaller partition, so after i installed and setup xp which works fine now, i went and tried to install windows 7 but when i tried to install windows 7 on the other partition it told me the disk was mbr and needs to be gpt now the only issue is i cannot convert it... i tried using tools and cmd but it cannot change it.. any idea on what i could do to fix and run those 2 os's dual boot?

Edited by chris3d165, 16 October 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 Barbossa   Members   -  Reputation: 831

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

The problem is that you try to install Windows 7 in UEFI Mode which is triggered automatically if the mainboard supports it.

To solve the problem all you need is to force the start of the installation in BIOS-Mode. I don't know your hardware so there are two ways possible:

1. Go into the Bios(or UEFI or whatever) menu on boot (on my system F12/Del) and search for a option like "Compability Mode" or similiar and switch it to BIOS.
  2. Bring up the selection for a boot device and choose "DVD-Drive" instead of the actual device name.

I hope this helps.

(If not, https://www.google.com/search?q=force+boot+in+bios+mode&oq=force+boot+in+bios+mode#q=force+windows+7+installation+mbr may do the trick ;) )

#3 chris3d165   Members   -  Reputation: 384

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Thank you Barbossa problem solved :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS