• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Bone Local Transformation Coordinate System Conversion

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 DementedCarrot   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

I have a working animation system that is loaded through the FBX 2012 SDK provided by Autodesk. The FBX API loads z-up meshes and animations, but I need to convert them over to a left-handed y-up coordinate system for DirectX. 

In the past I just transformed the final bone matrices by a coordinate system conversion matrix, and it looks fine visually when the meshes are drawn. I've run into a problem when trying to attach other models to animated bones though. I want to attach other meshes to bones based on position/rotation/scaling transformation values and not matrices, so I can't just apply the conversion matrix.

How do I convert the coordinate system of a bone's local keyframe position/rotation/scale transforms? I want to do this at load-time and get rid of all coordinate system conversions at run-time. The position and scale are vec3's, and the rotations are Euler angles that are turned into quaternions.

Edit: Also, the FBX SDK's coordinate system conversion doesn't seem to work! I transformed my mesh vertices, but it doesn't convert the animations correctly.

Thanks!

Edited by DementedCarrot, 23 October 2013 - 11:41 AM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS