• Create Account

C# & Unity or C# & XNA?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shade.   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Hello, I am relatively new to the forums here, but I do have quite some experience as a 3D modeler. My question is, for a 3D game, which combination of the two would you guys recommend? 

I was learning 'C#' with 'XNA', but I stopped once I heard that games created on 'XNA' cannot be made for the i phone or Samsung. However, 'Unity' apparently can. Which is why I am learning more towards learning Unity right now. This being said, I normally would rather make games for Windows PC, and if 'XNA' is better for that, then I am willing to stick with it. I just like the idea of being able to put my game on a phone if I want to.  

Thank you for all your time, 

-Shade-

Sponsor:

#2 Shane C   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1103

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

XNA is no longer being actively developed, whereas Unity is.

I'm really excited about the possibility of myself using Unity for a game. It seems like a great tool, and I have experimented with it a little. It honestly seems to win in a lot of ways. My only issue with it is the price of the full version, which unlocks features such as post-processing.

#3 duesjov   Members   -  Reputation: 260

4Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Have you considered looking into Monogame,   www.monogame.net

its opensource port of XNA.

you can use it to make games for both iphone, android, windows and linux

Regards Morten

Edited by duesjov, 23 October 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#4 Memories are Better   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 769

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Just had a look at unity, my my things certainly have changed over since beginning of 2012, back then any discussion of consoles resulted in filling a stupid form.

Anyway XNA is dead, go with unity or if you are comfortable with graphics programming or have the time to learn go with SharpDX

#5 Orangeatang   Members   -  Reputation: 1410

4Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Monogame is an excellent alternative to XNA, although as far as I'm aware they haven't broken their content pipeline away from it's XNA dependency yet (although it's in the works). Monogame does have iOS & Android capabilities, XNA does not.

As far as XNA/Monogame vs Unity goes, they're very different things so it depends what you're after. XNA & Monogame are programming frameworks, so you have to code the systems that run the game yourself. Unity however is a fully featured engine, although rather limited in the free version (no post processing).

If you don't want to do a lot of programming Unity is your best bet, but you'll have to pay for the more advanced engine features.

#6 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2160

3Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

I've been using Unity for a while.  I never got that much into XNA, so maybe I'm biased, but...

Based on my experience, I'd recommend you go with Unity.  It's a very polished and powerful engine, and it'll get you up and running quickly.  The community is bustling and helpful, so you shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out how to do what you need, if you ever find you don't know how to program something (chances are, someone else has already asked how to do it and gotten help).

Just get Unity and give it a shot.

Bookmark this page (the search bar lets you read about all of the Unity classes) and read through this short little tutorial, which will teach you how to get your scripts running in-game (it's simple and organized) and other basic fundamentals.

I use Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express to edit my scripts.  It's free and very useful: you may not want it right away (I thought it was confusing at first), but the shortcuts and member info features come in handy later.  I'd recommend it over the script editor that comes with Unity.

Lastly, if you ever find you have problems that you can't solve yourself, you might get more help on the Unity Answers site than you will here on GameDev.  Specifically, questions that relate to the engine itself in any way are probably best on the Unity Answers site, but general programming questions are probably best on GameDev.

Good luck!

#7 Shade.   Members   -  Reputation: 199

0Likes

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thank you everyone for the advice. I did check both the 'monogame' and the bookmarked all the 'unity' links posted. I definitely feel like I am going to go with Unity now, but I do appreciate the information on monotone. 

Again thanks a lot, really appreciate it guys-

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS