• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

3D Triangle Collision detection with ramps

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 C0dR   Members   -  Reputation: 144

0Likes

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hello,

I am currently working on a student research project and have to develop a simple lemmings game.

My world is made of 3D meshes and my lemmings are simple flat meshes made of 4 vertices with textures on it (kind of 2D sprites in 3D world).

Currently I am working on the collision detection but cant get it working. I assume you know how lemmings is working, so i need to detect wether the lemmings are on the ground or colliding with a wall. I also need a ramping functionality, so i can have uneven grounds.

For collision detection i made a simple mesh in a 3D program and set it a special name (beginning with COLL_). But I just cant figure out how to get the collision detection working. I already tried the solution from here http://www.discoverthat.co.uk/games/xna-triangle.htm but its not working properly for me since I cant really detect wether the lemmings are colliding with a wall or the ground. So I also tried to seperate the collision meshes in ground meshes and wall meshes, but now when the lemmings are not colliding with the ground anymore ( walking over a cliff) they make some kind of curve and are not directly falling to the ground. I already checked if I move them horizontally before letting them fall but thats not happening. I think the problem is the BoundingSphere, since its round and not quadric?

Well, should i just try simple boundingBoxes instead of Meshes? But then i couldnt get ramps right?

Could anyone post a solution or give me some tips? I just have 2 Weeks left and dont even have the game mechanics ready sad.png

greets

C0dR

P.S. I am german so bear with me smile.png

Edited by C0dR, 24 October 2013 - 10:58 PM.

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS