• Create Account

Is it possible?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 D_a_n   Members   -  Reputation: 111

1Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hello guys, this is my first thread so excuse me if it's in the wrong section. I am interested in creating a game. I've read many topics about game engines, 2D and 3D stuff, but I still have some questions. Can I start making a game by myself (or like-minded people with me)? How much does it cost to make a game? If it needs a company with a entity and so, is there anyway that I can create a game for any platform (except mobile phones) bymyself (or with like-minded people)?

Thank you.

Sponsor:

#2 EddieV223   Members   -  Reputation: 1267

7Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

You can make a game, 2D games especially on your own and using all free tools.

For example you could use c++ as your langauge, SFML2 as your 2D library, QtCreator or Eclipse for your IDE, gimp for making 2D textures and art, and Tiled for map editing.

All those tools are completely free, and you can use gnu compilers as well ( mingw on windows ).

I highly recommend you learn to program well, before attempting to make graphical games, since they require a skilled programmer.  When you do make it to graphical games, stick with 2d for a while and learn to write easily readable, highly maintainable, and extendable code.

Edited by EddieV223, 28 October 2013 - 04:28 PM.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.1 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.1 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.1/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

#3 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7449

1Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

1. Can I start making a game by myself (or like-minded people with me)?
2. How much does it cost to make a game?
3. If it needs a company with a entity and so,
4. is there anyway that I can create a game for any platform (except mobile phones) bymyself (or with like-minded people)?

1. Yes.
2. It depends.  Can you narrow the question down? Are you talking mobile, console, small downloadable game, AAA packaged game, MMOG?  The Business forum gets questions about cost all the time (best to ask this there).
3. If you create a game by yourself, you don't necessarily need to create a company. But if you partner with others, then you really ought to.  The Business forum gets questions like this all the time.
4. Yes.  Can you narrow the question down some?

Edited by Tom Sloper, 28 October 2013 - 04:30 PM.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#4 D_a_n   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

You can make a game, 2D games especially on your own and using all free tools.

For example you could use c++ as your langauge, SFML2 as your 2D library, QtCreator or Eclipse for your IDE, gimp for making 2D textures and art, and Tiled for map editing.

All those tools are completely free, and you can use gnu compilers as well ( mingw on windows ).

I highly recommend you learn to program well, before attempting to make graphical games, since they require a skilled programmer.  When you do make it to graphical games, stick with 2d for a while and learn to write easily readable, highly maintainable, and extendable code.

Thanks for the reply. I've been learning some of the C languages for a couple of years, so I think they'll help me out.

4. is there anyway that I can create a game for any platform (except mobile phones) bymyself (or with like-minded people)?

1. Yes.
2. It depends.  Can you narrow the question down? Are you talking mobile, console, small downloadable game, AAA packaged game, MMOG?  The Business forum gets questions about cost all the time (best to ask this there).
3. If you create a game by yourself, you don't necessarily need to create a company. But if you partner with others, then you really ought to.  The Business forum gets questions like this all the time.

Thanks for the reply!

2. I was talking about a Playstation or a PC game.

3. How can I know if I have the capability to create a game by myself and don't need to create a company?

4. Again, I was talking about a Playstation or a PC game.

#5 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 7449

2Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

Tom Sloper, on 28 Oct 2013 - 3:29 PM, said:

1. Yes.
2. It depends.  Can you narrow the question down? Are you talking mobile, console, small downloadable game, AAA packaged game, MMOG?  The Business forum gets questions about cost all the time (best to ask this there).

3.a. How can I know if I have the capability to create a game by myself
3.b. and don't need to create a company?

2. Anywhere from half a million dollars to several million dollars.
3.a. Odd question, not quite sure how to answer this other than:  Make a game. If you can, you have the capability. If you can't, you don't have the capability. 
3.b. Questions about company formation are best asked in the Business forum, not here.
4. Yes, there is a way. For a PC game, just do it. For a Playstation game, they do have an indie-friendly program, but you'll still have to jump through some hoops. You have lots of road to travel before you come anywhere near that bridge.

Edited by Tom Sloper, 28 October 2013 - 04:45 PM.
had to fix broken quoting

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#6 D_a_n   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Tom Sloper, on 28 Oct 2013 - 3:29 PM, said:

1. Yes.
2. It depends.  Can you narrow the question down? Are you talking mobile, console, small downloadable game, AAA packaged game, MMOG?  The Business forum gets questions about cost all the time (best to ask this there).

3.a. How can I know if I have the capability to create a game by myself
3.b. and don't need to create a company?

2. Anywhere from half a million dollars to several million dollars.
3.a. Odd question, not quite sure how to answer this other than:  Make a game. If you can, you have the capability. If you can't, you don't have the capability. 
3.b. Questions about company formation are best asked in the Business forum, not here.
4. Yes, there is a way. For a PC game, just do it. For a Playstation game, they do have an indie-friendly program, but you'll still have to jump through some hoops. You have lots of road to travel before you come anywhere near that bridge.

2. Isn't there a way to make a low-budget game that doesn't cost that much?

3.a. Thanks, I will try.

3.b. I will ask there, thank you.

4. Regarding PC games, what did you mean by 'just do it'? Regarding a Playstation game, how can I know more about the indie-friendly program and what kind of roads should I travel before I get to this point? Also, as far as I know, Sony needs a certified company with an entity to gain it access to dev kit and so, is that right or can a stand-alone developer gain this too?

#7 dejaime   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2961

3Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:19 PM

4. Regarding PC games, what did you mean by 'just do it'? Regarding a Playstation game, how can I know more about the indie-friendly program and what kind of roads should I travel before I get to this point? Also, as far as I know, Sony needs a certified company with an entity to gain it access to dev kit and so, is that right or can a stand-alone developer gain this too?

You can create a game for absolutely no cost; if you mean monetary cost. If you consider your own hours as a cost (what you should) you could create a game that cost only work-hours. I'm talking about PC games, since they don't require licenses to develop.

Playstation games can be a bit trickier since you'll need a formal company (I think there's no way around this).

It'll also depend on what country you live in.

It'd be wise to have some showcase games; probably PC games (easier to build), in order to show them for the certification.

I have read their submission forms and they ask for a Resumé with pretty specific info like "Prior Development Experience" and, worse, "product catalog"

For more info, go there.

Edited by dejaime, 28 October 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#8 D_a_n   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

You can create a game for absolutely no cost; if you mean monetary cost. If you consider your own hours as a cost (what you should) you could create a game that cost only work-hours. I'm talking about PC games, since they don't require licenses to develop.

Playstation games can be a bit trickier since you'll need a formal company (I think there's no way around this).

It'll also depend on what country you live in.

It'd be wise to have some showcase games; probably PC games (easier to build), in order to show them for the certification.

I have read their submission forms and they ask for a Resumé with pretty specific info like "Prior Development Experience" and, worse, "product catalog"

For more info, go there.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I'll go with the PC games, but I need to start off with Android applications/games, does an app cost much to make?

#9 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4068

1Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

but I need to start off with Android applications/games, does an app cost much to make?

No, absolutely not. You can download the Android SDK including developer tools and emulator from here, which costs exactly nothing. You don't even strictly need to own an Android device.

But of course, it's still not "free" because you must invest weeks/months for learning (above all, Java programming). A game doesn't just drop from the sky. On the other hand, don't be discouraged, many people have gone that way before.

Edited by samoth, 28 October 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#10 wintertime   Members   -  Reputation: 1537

1Likes

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

I think you should just try. You said you programmed C already.

You are just missing the basic knowledge about starting a game compared to some other program.

You can easily read up on what a gameloop is, that you get input, update game logic and then draw. Now start with something really simple like tic-tac-toe with character output on PC. On first try it may take a week of repeatedly gathering knowledge for an hour then writing 2 lines of code, next time it will be faster.

#11 D_a_n   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

but I need to start off with Android applications/games, does an app cost much to make?

No, absolutely not. You can download the Android SDK including developer tools and emulator from here, which costs exactly nothing. You don't even strictly need to own an Android device.

But of course, it's still not "free" because you must invest weeks/months for learning (above all, Java programming). A game doesn't just drop from the sky. On the other hand, don't be discouraged, many people have gone that way before.

Thanks!

I think you should just try. You said you programmed C already.

You are just missing the basic knowledge about starting a game compared to some other program.

You can easily read up on what a gameloop is, that you get input, update game logic and then draw. Now start with something really simple like tic-tac-toe with character output on PC. On first try it may take a week of repeatedly gathering knowledge for an hour then writing 2 lines of code, next time it will be faster.

Thanks!

#12 dragons   Members   -  Reputation: 180

1Likes

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:11 AM

You can create a indie game with a team of few friends, or duo even. Take for example minecraft, so simple, yet popular.

Creativity should be your first steps. Think for a simple, unique game.

Dont focus on the details or graphics, again, minecraft here.

Think for a unique mechanics that people will like.

Low graphics, and low poly models will make you focus on the mechanics of the game more.

#13 3Ddreamer   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2605

0Likes

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hello,

Hello guys, this is my first thread so excuse me if it's in the wrong section. I am interested in creating a game. I've read many topics about game engines, 2D and 3D stuff, but I still have some questions.

Can I start making a game by myself (or like-minded people with me)?

Answer:   Yes!  There are many game engines which allow indie developers to start as a beginner or advance all the way to pro team developer.   Some are WYSIWYG game development platforms which need no coding with a language on your part, others are only a very basic framework which requires the developer to do much programming, and many are somewhere in between these two extremes. Almost all of these invite you to start making a game by yourself.

The alternative to using a game engine is to do all the coding yourself, which some do with a lot of success, but typically takes years to get a popular game published.

How much does it cost to make a game?

Answer: Both amateur and professional game development systems ( a total workflow pipeline for creating a video game ) may result in anywhere from nothing to hundreds of millions of dollars to make, publish, and advertise your game.  You may be surprised how many thousands of developers are making games which bring some money but cost nothing but time and work to create.

If it needs a company with a entity and so, is there anyway that I can create a game for any platform (except mobile phones) bymyself (or with like-minded people)?

Answer:  Many indy developers are single people who's status is a sole proprietor and therefore need few if any registrations while using only their real full name.  When you start using another name other than your full personal name, then you might get deep into regulations.  It is safe to start with only your real name and expand from there with registration and licensing according to the laws in your country of citizenship, state laws, and local laws.  To work with a publisher can greatly reduce the legal entanglements because publishers have systems in place to handle most of the issues on your behalf. Examples are Steam, Valve, Ubisoft, and so forth.  See the Business section of forums here at game dev for some more insight. 

My suggestion is to be concerned with forming a company and all other legal and marketing issues after you have created at least a beta version of your game. This is fairly typical for beginner thru intermediate game developers.

Some examples of indy friendly game engine systems are Torque 3D, Unity 3D, Unreal Engine, Game Maker, Blender, and so forth.  See link below here.

List of Game Engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Read my signature below this for good guidance in the major areas to cover...

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software.  The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game.  Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

#14 D_a_n   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

You can create a indie game with a team of few friends, or duo even. Take for example minecraft, so simple, yet popular.

Creativity should be your first steps. Think for a simple, unique game.

Dont focus on the details or graphics, again, minecraft here.

Think for a unique mechanics that people will like.

Low graphics, and low poly models will make you focus on the mechanics of the game more.

Thanks!

Hello,

Hello guys, this is my first thread so excuse me if it's in the wrong section. I am interested in creating a game. I've read many topics about game engines, 2D and 3D stuff, but I still have some questions.

Can I start making a game by myself (or like-minded people with me)?

Answer:   Yes!  There are many game engines which allow indie developers to start as a beginner or advance all the way to pro team developer.   Some are WYSIWYG game development platforms which need no coding with a language on your part, others are only a very basic framework which requires the developer to do much programming, and many are somewhere in between these two extremes. Almost all of these invite you to start making a game by yourself.

The alternative to using a game engine is to do all the coding yourself, which some do with a lot of success, but typically takes years to get a popular game published.

How much does it cost to make a game?

Answer: Both amateur and professional game development systems ( a total workflow pipeline for creating a video game ) may result in anywhere from nothing to hundreds of millions of dollars to make, publish, and advertise your game.  You may be surprised how many thousands of developers are making games which bring some money but cost nothing but time and work to create.

If it needs a company with a entity and so, is there anyway that I can create a game for any platform (except mobile phones) bymyself (or with like-minded people)?

Answer:  Many indy developers are single people who's status is a sole proprietor and therefore need few if any registrations while using only their real full name.  When you start using another name other than your full personal name, then you might get deep into regulations.  It is safe to start with only your real name and expand from there with registration and licensing according to the laws in your country of citizenship, state laws, and local laws.  To work with a publisher can greatly reduce the legal entanglements because publishers have systems in place to handle most of the issues on your behalf. Examples are Steam, Valve, Ubisoft, and so forth.  See the Business section of forums here at game dev for some more insight. 

My suggestion is to be concerned with forming a company and all other legal and marketing issues after you have created at least a beta version of your game. This is fairly typical for beginner thru intermediate game developers.

Some examples of indy friendly game engine systems are Torque 3D, Unity 3D, Unreal Engine, Game Maker, Blender, and so forth.  See link below here.

List of Game Engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Read my signature below this for good guidance in the major areas to cover...

Woah! Thanks for all that information, it will help me much!

#15 minibutmany   Members   -  Reputation: 1304

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

The android virtual device is awful...you really need a device. These days it is pretty easy to pick up a tablet for as low as 150 bucks.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

#16 D_a_n   Members   -  Reputation: 111

0Likes

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

The android virtual device is awful...you really need a device. These days it is pretty easy to pick up a tablet for as low as 150 bucks.

Good that I already own an android device!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS