• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

[d3d9/win7] can't seem to create a shared texture resource?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 Super Llama   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'm trying to create a shared texture from a Direct3D 9 device using the pSharedHandle parameter that supposedly works starting with windows vista-- but no matter what I put in the parameters it always just returns an invalid call. I'm intending to share it with another device in another thread, but I can't even get the initial creation of the shared resource to work.

ddev->CreateTexture(width, height, 1, 0, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &tex, &handle);

I've tried changing pretty much all the parameters but if I pass it a &handle it always fails. The handle is pointing to a NULL value. I've been unable to find a lot of information about the texture sharing API, but everything I find says this should work. I'm compiling with the headers/libraries both from the Windows 7 SDK and the June 2010 DX SDK, and I'm able to see and instantiate D3D9Ex classes, so it's definitely a new enough version. The device is perfectly able to create the texture if I don't specify a handle, so I'm guessing I must not be fulfilling one of the restrictions for shared textures that microsoft barely told anyone about. MSDN is not helping very much, all it says is that I have to use D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, which I am.

Any ideas? I'll keep messing with the parameters while I wait for an answer.

EDIT: Well, I got it to create the handle by changing all the DirectX9 objects to DirectX9Ex objects, but this is not ideal and if there's still a way to do it with ordinary D3D9 interfaces, that would be preferable.

Edited by Super Llama, 02 November 2013 - 03:17 PM.

It's a sofa! It's a camel! No! It's Super Llama!

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS