• Create Account

OpenGL SuperBible, 5th vs 6th edition

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lactose!   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 3827

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm currently working my way through the OpenGL SuperBible, 5th edition. I'm finding it ok enough so far (couple of hundred pages in), but I've been seeing comments about the 6th edition being vastly superior.

Would you guys recommend getting 6th edition and swapping to that, or continuing on using the 5th edition?

If so, why?

I'm fairly new to graphics programming, if that has any impact on the advice given.

Sponsor:

#2 WhiteChocolateMocha   Members   -  Reputation: 375

1Likes

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:25 PM

I say continue with the fifth edition. I have both, and am constantly going back to the early edition because some things are just better explained, like UBOs and PBOs (the latter is hardly mentioned at the end of the book in the 6th ed). Explanations in the newest edition are pretty terse. Also, the reference is cut out in the 6th ed; I guess it was to save some trees. I hardly ever used the reference, but it was a nice addition. Stick with the 5th version, and when you're ready to move onto atomic counters and compute shaders, the 6th version will be ready for you. Also have a look at g-trunc OpenGL reviews, if you haven't already. It'll put things into perspective of where OpenGL was back in the day, and where it is heading - especially when it come to the bind to edit model. ARB_bindless_texture anyone?

Edited by WhiteChocolateMocha, 02 November 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#3 Lactose!   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 3827

0Likes

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

I say continue with the fifth edition. I have both, and am constantly going back to the early edition because some things are just better explained, like UBOs and PBOs (the latter is hardly mentioned at the end of the book in the 6th ed). Explanations in the newest edition are pretty terse. Also, the reference is cut out in the 6th ed; I guess it was to save some trees. I hardly ever used the reference, but it was a nice addition. Stick with the 5th version, and when you're ready to move onto atomic counters and compute shaders, the 6th version will be ready for you. Also have a look at g-trunc OpenGL reviews, if you haven't already. It'll put things into perspective of where OpenGL was back in the day, and where it is heading - especially when it come to the bind to edit model. ARB_bindless_texture anyone?

So, just to be certain, even if I continue working through the 5th edition, the 6th edition is still worth picking up for some sections after?

Thank you for the feedback.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS