• Create Account

Profile Rating System - Reasonings

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 Migi0027   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1535

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hi guys. wink.png

So as you know, on your profiles you have these stars, and the score is made by the community. Now I was recently downvoted, and that was really my last expectation, and I don't remember to be particular rude or anything. And there might be a valid reason for this downvote, but I'd like to know why, so I could improve and avoid this in future discussions, but, no traces are left, so how would I be able to know what went wrong. (Sometimes it may be obvious, but sometimes it's really not)

So my question is, currently and for the future:

• Is it possible to see who voted you down?
  • Could it be possible for the user to leave a note containing his reasoning?

PS. I hope this hasn't been mentioned before.

Well, that's it! Thank you.

-MIGI0027

Sponsor:

#2 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

The note might be interesting, but if its optional practically no one will use it, and if its obligatory then the additional hassle might make the ratings systems less used overall, which would defeat the purpose. If the mods are reading, I might suggest that notes could be successful if leaving them was incentivised -- perhaps by giving an additional +1 to the rater. That way, a rater could avoid the -1 that comes along with downvoting someone if they provide a reason for the downvote. I'm not entirely convinced that the +1 bump for a reason is useful for upvotes though. I think that might actually be benfitial both by helping educate the offending poster and encourage reasonable down-votes by making the penalty a non-issue.

As far as revealing identity, it used to be revealed but there was sometimes an issue with revenge voting, so they took it out and I don't think its return is up for discussion.

#3 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3562

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

I never understood why we had the stars plus a numerical rating system.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#4 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 4847

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

me neither. I think they are just part of the default system and not even tied into the rating system in any way. Other things (like forum threads) had stars too but we removed them. I honestly hadn't really noticed nor thought about the stars in profiles until now.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

#5 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8324

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

me neither. I think they are just part of the default system and not even tied into the rating system in any way. Other things (like forum threads) had stars too but we removed them. I honestly hadn't really noticed nor thought about the stars in profiles until now.

People still use them though. They're just not very discoverable.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#6 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17771

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

Interesting... those should probably be turned off with the rest of the star ratings around the site actually!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS