• Create Account

Need feedback on Spiderman Animation

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1385

2Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

I made a Spiderman prototype in Java in 8 hours.

Animation has been a tough challenge during the first 8 hours.

I decided to post a video displaying how spiderman moves and attacks.

I recorded the prototype using Fraps.

I've been working on the protype for a long time so I need a fresh pair of eyes from other members to critique about the animation from the prototype just to make sure it looks right or how 2D animation should look.

Edited by warnexus, 05 November 2013 - 03:19 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 jms bc   Members   -  Reputation: 415

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Looks pretty good to me --  I don't mind the feet sliding while walking/running but some might pick at that.  IMO, that's about the same quality as a lot of Kongregate-type games I've played.  I think I see is a bit of jerking in the horizontal as you go through the stride sequence, maybe a matter of inconsistent reference points for frames of different width. Subtle though, could be a fraps issue. Slow motion might facilitate a better review.  

The Four Musketeers of Happiness have left.

#3 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1385

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

Looks pretty good to me --  I don't mind the feet sliding while walking/running but some might pick at that.  IMO, that's about the same quality as a lot of Kongregate-type games I've played.  I think I see is a bit of jerking in the horizontal as you go through the stride sequence, maybe a matter of inconsistent reference points for frames of different width. Subtle though, could be a fraps issue. Slow motion might facilitate a better review.  

I think it might be part of the sprite. I might have to look into the jerkiness. I do see it right now. It could be an interval difference. Thanks!

Edited by warnexus, 05 November 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#4 emcconnell   Members   -  Reputation: 809

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Are those the animations from Capcom's VS series? It seems a bit slower than the original

#5 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1385

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

Are those the animations from Capcom's VS series? It seems a bit slower than the original

It is from Marvel Superheroes.

#6 cardinal   Members   -  Reputation: 800

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Not sure it's actually sliding. It seems your movement is just delayed a few frames which makes it really ugly. If you fix that it would probably look a lot better. You can always adjust the walking speed if it doesn't look right. It's hard to tell from a video on a black background though.

Do you have a constant playback speed for your animations? Some of them seem faster than others. It's possible the original game didn't always have the same number of FPS for the different animations. You could play around with that too until you are happy.

#7 cardinal   Members   -  Reputation: 800

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Also, do you use the same animation for forwards and backwards walking? One of the directions seems backwards which can contribute to the sliding.

#8 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1385

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Not sure it's actually sliding. It seems your movement is just delayed a few frames which makes it really ugly. If you fix that it would probably look a lot better. You can always adjust the walking speed if it doesn't look right. It's hard to tell from a video on a black background though.

Do you have a constant playback speed for your animations? Some of them seem faster than others. It's possible the original game didn't always have the same number of FPS for the different animations. You could play around with that too until you are happy.

I am not sure what you mean constant playback speed for my animations. But I can tell you that the type of animations uses different intervals because some have more frames of animations.

I just realized this after pasting the code, but the more frames for that type of animation, I needed to use a smaller value for the interval. The less amount of animation frames, I needed to use more larger values for the interval.

Like this:

private int idleAnimationInterval = 3;    

private int moveAnimationInterval = 3;

private int attackAnimationInterval = 10;

private int shieldAnimationInterval = 10;

private static final int numberOfIdleAnimations = 10;

private static final int numberOfMoveAnimations = 12;

private static final int numberOfAttackAnimations = 7;

private static final int numberOfShieldAnimations = 4;

Edited by warnexus, 05 November 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#9 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1385

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Also, do you use the same animation for forwards and backwards walking? One of the directions seems backwards which can contribute to the sliding.

They use the same animation. The only difference is the algorithm for forward movements and backward movement is the order in which the images are read by the algorithm.

The forward algorithm reads the first image to the last frame. The backward movement reads the last frame until the first frame.

The way I think of the implementation of backward algorithm was pretty much like "rewinding the forward animation" to give it that effect and walking backward.

I might add an actual background tomorrow just to make it easier for you and everyone to see it clearly.

Edited by warnexus, 05 November 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#10 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1385

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

Here is a video. Movement should be better to see with an added background.

#11 cozzie   Members   -  Reputation: 1495

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Looks nice, you might consider that when walking the other direction, the whole sprite / spiderman rotates to that direction (looking the other way).

Can you share more about plans for gameplay/ do you want ideas?

#12 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1385

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Looks nice, you might consider that when walking the other direction, the whole sprite / spiderman rotates to that direction (looking the other way).

Can you share more about plans for gameplay/ do you want ideas?

I'm not much of a planner at least not on paper. Everything I did for the prototype thus far is outlined in my head before implementation.

As far as sharing goes, if I run into a problem or I need verification on aesthetic, I might wind up posting a video about the game.

I do not need ideas mainly because I cannot guarantee it will be in the game. And if the idea is too elaborate for me, I cannot risk days on one feature. I still feel I am a beginner even though I have several months of experience programming games.

However, I welcome any feedback(good or bad) about the current prototype.

I try to get a simple feature working in the game per day.

As for gameplay, I am still keeping the gameplay simple and not get too far ahead of my self.

I am glad you liked it!

Edited by warnexus, 06 November 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#13 cardinal   Members   -  Reputation: 800

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

The animation quality is good, but it still bugs me that the character treadmills in place when starting to walk or when switching directions. While actually moving it syncs up ok, but the movement is probably slightly fast for the animation.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS