• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

PC to Browser

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheOrestes   Members   -  Reputation: 270

0Likes

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this topic, please let me know if otherwise. I need some advice on porting front. We have pipeline set in such a way that content is being done on 3d studio max with DirectX 9 shaders. The file format we are working on is VRML format which supports direct DirectX shaders inside the mesh definition. Everything is smooth and fine till this point. However, we are trying to figure out cross platform strategy, where the 3d content will be rendered on the browser as well. Obviously, had it been started with Unity Engine, there was little to worry about ( correct me here ) Or if entire codebase was done keeping in mind this cross platform work in future, we would have faced less issues.

obviously, directx shaders won't run on browsers. I came across http://threejs.org/ & http://www.web3d.org/x3d/   as the closest thing which might do the trick for me. VRML mesh format is absolute requirement & these 2 things seems like supporting it. Also, for porting shaders from HLSL to GLSL, I am thinking of using https://github.com/aras-p/hlsl2glslfork .

To be honest, I have never worked on browser based technologies before, but am quite comfortable with C++ & DirectX. Hence, I wanted to ask folks around here if this is the sane approach for porting? Please let me know if there is anything else I should keep in mind. Please also point me to any other tools or codebase which handles rendering of VRML mesh formats on Web.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers.

Edited by TheOrestes, 05 November 2013 - 10:37 PM.

Sponsor:

#2 TheOrestes   Members   -  Reputation: 270

0Likes

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Anyone?

#3 EarthBanana   Members   -  Reputation: 939

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think your options may be to implement a plugin for a web browser yourself (thats what Unity does to run on browsers) or use something like webGL and change your code to use open GL rather than direct x - I'm not sure if there is something available for direct x rendering in browsers

#4 TheOrestes   Members   -  Reputation: 270

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, absolutely! am quite aware of the fact that DirectX cannot be used on browser, hence all the questions related to porting existing code to browser compaible codebase. However for that, does above mentioned approach makes sense? Am going to explore HLSL to GLSL converter at first place to see its correctness & how much extra work that should be done. If shaders am encountering are the simple ones, then re-writing them again shouldn't be much of a problem. The main issue is choosing between three.js & X3D. Any inputs on that would be great.

Once again, thanks for the reply. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS