• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Whats your preferred DDS reader?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic

#1 B_old   Members   -  Reputation: 665

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

Since doing more Linux/OpenGL stuff I have been wondering what people are using to load DDS files. Freeimage for instance decompresses the data automatically, which is not what I want in this case. I then tried GLI but unfortunately it fails read mipmaps, at least for files generated with the DDS plugin for Gimp and seems to have even more trouble with DXT5 compressed files.

Is there some library that is more robust? Are people generally implementing their own readers? Or compressing textures on the fly?

Maybe I should take a look at Devil although it is no longer maintained. Can you recommend it? 

Sponsor:

#2 mhagain   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 8134

2Likes

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

You can quite easily implement your own; it's not a difficult format to work with.  See e.g. here for one example.

It appears that the gentleman thought C++ was extremely difficult and he was overjoyed that the machine was absorbing it; he understood that good C++ is difficult but the best C++ is well-nigh unintelligible.

#3 samoth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4911

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:20 AM

My preferred DDS  library tool is PVRTexTool, which lets me convert it to KTX format. laugh.png

KTX has the advantage that it's unambiguously documented (though, you probably couldn't care less since there's a ready-to-use loader library!) and that it loads into something you can directly feed to OpenGL. All the constants and such are already correct as OpenGL expects them, no need to do any obscure translations from some DirectX constants (which sometimes change meaning with a different version) to some other OpenGL constants. Just give OpenGL what's in the file. To me, that is a big, big plus.

Edited by samoth, 07 November 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#4 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10230

2Likes

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:40 AM

SOIL. Simplicity is hard to beat.

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

#5 pyirrlicht   Members   -  Reputation: 618

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

SOIL. Simplicity is hard to beat.

Good library.
If you need Python port, see pysoil.

#6 B_old   Members   -  Reputation: 665

0Likes

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

I gave GLI another try and have to admit, that the mipmap problem was entirely my mistake. I was able to solve the problem with BC5 encoded files saved from gimp and it seems to be fixed in the next version. All in all I'm quite content with the library now.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS