• Create Account

Suggestion for a cross-platform 3D rendering subsystem in C++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 skwee   Members   -  Reputation: 341

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

Hi there!

What do I need?

I'm doing a 3D game and I'm looking for a rendering subsystem this utilizes modern (version 3.x+) OpenGL. DirectX support is not mandatory, since I target Windows and Linux. Smartphone support is not mandatory.

I'm looking for a clean and nice design rendering subsystem only. It should not do anything apart from rendering and scene managing, thus leaving me the choice and the headache to care about audio, physics, UI, scripting and game object management,

It should be C++, available for commercial use.

Should have either support for popular 3D formats or provide export mechanism to convert popular 3d formats into their own format.

What I have checked?

I played with Ogre3D about 1-1.5 years ago. Didn't like it. Its big and messy.

I heard about Irrlicht, looked a bit into their examples, it looks nice, however I'd like to get more opinions about it.

I heard about OpenSceneGraph. It looks very solid, nice design, however I'd like to hear more opinions about it.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance!

I would love to change the world, but they won’t give me the source code.

Sponsor:

#2 PolyVox   Members   -  Reputation: 708

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Might be worth checking this out: http://mosra.cz/blog/magnum.php

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28405

0Likes

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

I really liked Horde3D, but IIRC it's built on clean GL2.x, not 3.x. I think there's also a few GLES ports for mobile.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS