• Create Account

Amazon SNS for turn based multiplayer mobile game

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 RudolfVonKrugstein   Members   -  Reputation: 213

0Likes

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hello Community,

I want to implement a turn based multiplayer game for mobile devices and I am looking for an network solution.

Now, there is google play game services, which seems really nice. Unfortantly it forces players to have a google account for playing. I do not like that.

Instead I would prefer a solution, where the player has the choice of logging in with a google or facebook account, create a game specific account or play as guest. As far as I can tell, that is not possible with google play services.

So I am looking at other cloud services. And I was wondering if amazon SNS would be suited.

As anyone experience with Amazon SNS for games? I would have to do the "login via facebook/google" myself, but I hope I can do that ...

My Idea would be:

* Create a amazon SNS topic for every new game.

* Every player of the game subscribes to the topic.

* Game  turns are send via the topic.

Does that work in practice?

Thanks for sharing thoughts and experience!

Sponsor:

#2 hplus0603   Moderators   -  Reputation: 5702

0Likes

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

I do not know what the actual latencies of SNS are, but for a turn-based game, I believe that can work.

If I were you, though, I would be very careful about costs involved, as well as the possibility of cheating inherent in a client-state-based game.

An option might be to build a simple message exchange on a server fabric like node.js. You can easily get to thousands of players across thousands of games in a single process on node.js, and use HTTP long-polling for message exchange to have the highest possible compatibility with various web gateways etc.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

#3 RudolfVonKrugstein   Members   -  Reputation: 213

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

If I were you, though, I would be very careful about costs involved, as well as the possibility of cheating inherent in a client-state-based game.

An option might be to build a simple message exchange on a server fabric like node.js. You can easily get to thousands of players across thousands of games in a single process on node.js, and use HTTP long-polling for message exchange to have the highest possible compatibility with various web gateways etc.

Mmh, ok. But than I have to get a node.js host and have to worry about server availability.

amazon SNS costst 50cent/Million messages.

I am wondering what other developers experience on this is ...

#4 adoado   Members   -  Reputation: 134

0Likes

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

I've used SNS on our website (www.yellloh.com) and while it's not used as an in-game process, it is a great system. I'm just thinking it might be a little heavyweight for a simple message dispatcher. But the API is simple to use, so have a play :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS