• Create Account

Parkour System

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 KoldGames   Members   -  Reputation: 222

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hello! I am trying to implement a parkour system and was wondering how did parkour in mirror's edge work?  I am unsure of how to really do this. Thanks! :)

Sponsor:

#2 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1410

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:52 PM

Are you trying to make the game in 2D or 3D?

I saw a video of Mirror Edge and I think I got a general sense of how it could possibly be done.

Most of the analysis is from the tutorial portion of the game.

I notice every time a character interact with certain objects, the user or the player has to presses certain keys which signals the game to prompt to the character to react differently to that particular object.

In terms of theoretical knowledge, you should model your character to be in a different state("jump", "slide", "grab") depending on which keys were pressed from the user.

You should definitely have a piece of paper and jot down notes of your own observation of the game. It would probably help you with the implementation of this feature.

I do have to say your question is still too broad because parkour is a very general term. Which parkour stunt from the game are you trying to achieve in your application?

Edited by warnexus, 09 November 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#3 KoldGames   Members   -  Reputation: 222

0Likes

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hey warnexus! My game is 3D. I am trying to implement wall running and climbing. I have an editor I built for my game engine, and i was thinking that I create zones. They would basically say, if the player is in this zone, allow the player to do something. But I'm not sure. I will definitely check it out and write down some notes. I actually own the game, so that will help more. What do you think of the idea I typed above? Thanks :)

#4 warnexus   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 1410

0Likes

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

Sounds great to me. I would not worry too much about if idea is great or not. I would say trying to push yourself in seeing if you can implement the feature is more important. It is all about the journey: this journey of exploration, curiosity and technical challenges. Trust yourself that it is possible.

Most of the complicated feature seen in video games are just a group of simple features working together. Once you got all the simple features working, assemble them together.

Edited by warnexus, 10 November 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS