• Create Account

Amazon app store - is it worth it?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 boolean   Members   -  Reputation: 1714

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

Hello chaps.

I have my android game up on the Google Play store right now, but I guess I missed the fact that Amazon hosts Android games too blink.png

I've been considering uploading my game to there too, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of maintaining two release points.

On the downside, I don't think I've ever run into anyone who has downloaded anything from the amazon store. There's also the fact that amazon seems to be pushing their tablets pretty hard, but I don't have a tablet version of my game. Is the ecosystem friendly to non-tablet games?

On the upside, the marketplace is much less flooded with apps which gives more of a chance of your app standing out. I've also seen a few blog posts where people have reported higher revenue per dollar than the Google Play store, but that was back in early 2012. 

So I'm wondering, has anyone here tried selling their game on Amazon? Any good experiences so far?

[Android] Stupid Human Castles - If Tetris had monsters with powers and were attacking human castles. "4/5 - frandroid.com"

Full version and Demo Version available on the Android app store.

Sponsor:

#2 draquod   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Hi there, one of my friends has tried the Amazon store but hasn't got a lot of success. The problem is that users have to install the Amazon store app to download applications from there.

On the other hand, as you say, if you have a great game or app it could reach a different market segment, which could be very interessting.

#3 Ravyne   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 8165

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

The Amazon app store is the default market for all of Amazon's own devices -- you're wise to the fact that they don't offer phones, so if your game is exclusively for phone or essentially so, its probably not a necessary market to enter. However, if your app did support tablets well, I believe its one of the necessary stores to be on -- Amazon pushes a lot of tablets out, and has a lot of people already integrated and happy in their payment ecosystem--not unlike Apple. Also like Apple, their own devices are fairly similar/generational WRT to hardware and device resolution, so it gives you a set of reasonable target specs that you can optimize for.

Now, Android is difficult to monetize in general, and that's a separate issue--but if I had an app for android tablets I'd want to be on Google Play first, and Amazon second.

#4 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 22736

0Likes

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Also, why would you want to avoid a distribution method? You don't hear about companies with physical games say things like "I want to be in every story except Toys R Us".

It generally makes sense to make your products available in every retail outlet that will accept it. Some people prefer to buy things from one source or another. If you aren't in that person's preferred store they may never buy your product. There are occasionally exceptions where people will not sell in one marketplace because of the transaction costs, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

Check out my book, Game Development with Unity, aimed at beginners who want to build fun games fast.

Also check out my personal website at bryanwagstaff.com, where I write about assorted stuff.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS