• Create Account

Tutorials!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlstonA   Members   -  Reputation: 112

0Likes

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'm interested in creating some grass/ground segments for a 2D Game. I'm having a bit of trouble creating them seeing as i can't find any tutorials related towards the style I'm going for. Most of them seem to be for tile games so the designs are usually square.

The particular styles I am hoping to achieve is

Muramasa the Demon Blade:

muramasa01.png

B001HB7K6I.02.lg.jpg

Dust: An Elysian Tail:

dust_screen_1.jpg

tumblr_mk55z7Kkua1s5jmdqo2_1280.jpg

and

Rayman Origins:

Rayman_OriginsPyramidTeam.jpg

Rayman-Origins-E3-2011-Trailer_1.jpg

If anyone knows of any link to some tutorials related towards the ground assets (Grass, Dirt, Etc/ not ) that I can use to achieve this, please leave them on this post. I am seriously stumped without them.

Student at Davenport University.

Major :  Game and Simulation programming  

Sponsor:

#2 Mratthew   Members   -  Reputation: 1582

1Likes

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

Here is a speed painting tutorial I'm watching right now! Some good tool tips and general painting knowledge. Enjoy!

#3 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19425

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:47 AM

Moving you to our Visual Arts forum.

#4 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1693

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

The easiest way to make backgrounds like I see in Rayman is to trace a bitmap. Both InkScape and Adobe Illustrator have the ability to take a photo and trace it, be it in color or black and white:

Inkscape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQluUaqyGw

Adobe Illustrator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0yNFH99cWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYLzJS1JdXI

As for Illustator it has changed from version to version. I think the term there is called Live Trace

You can do this on a regular photo of greenery or trees or grass etc. From there you would edit the vector to make it unique if you want. Keep the tracing paths light (not too much detail). You can edit the curves also to get more unique shapes. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Tutorial Doctor, 12 November 2013 - 10:12 AM.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

#5 Kryzon   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 3314

0Likes

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

Here is a speed painting tutorial I'm watching right now! Some good tool tips and general painting knowledge. Enjoy!

This is an interesting guide. You should post it in the 2D Tutorials & Learning Resources thread.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS