Another rep points peculiarity?

Started by
7 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 10 years, 5 months ago

So I only started actively participating around October. Had 150 points (100 for signing in + 50 for legacy points transfer).

Now I have 505, so quick math shows 355 points, but my account only shows 319.

Another system glitch?

Advertisement

There's a known issue with the values displayed in the reputation log -- all of those entries displaying +3 to your account are actually +4 events, which should account for the discrepancy.

Given the mistaken display of +3 rather than +4 is merely confusing on rare occasions when someone bothers to add up the values it's considered pretty low priority to fix in favour of more meaningful problems, but it's on the to-do list to be dealt with eventually!

smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Isn't the +3/+4 issue a simple fix?

OK, that's still doesn't makes sense to me. Just got +6 points, but my monthly total increased by 1?

It'd be simple to fix with a quick hack (just adding a +1 to the values), but a little more complex to resolve properly (actually resolving the cause of the problem).

It still shouldn't be a huge problem, but it may not be trivial either, and when we do get to it we'd like to fix it properly. :-)

//EDIT: The monthly value may be cached, Michael Tanczos would know more.

- Jason Astle-Adams

That's still doesn't explain the +1 vs +6 thing.

I mean, you clearly invested a lot of time and effort into this rep system, why not make it work correctly?

Sorry, you replied again while I was responding.

Michael implemented the rep system and I haven't seen the code, but I suspect that as a non-critical feature the monthly (and yearly) values may be cached to reduce load on the server; a lot of non-critical statistics around the site are cached.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Got it. Thanks.

Checking on it..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement