[Fixed... kind of] MonoGame effects with VS2012 & Windows 8

Started by
2 comments, last by Capoeirista 10 years, 5 months ago
Hi there,
I'm having a bit of trouble setting up a content project (for my desktop application) using Windows 8 and visual studio 2012, was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction.
MonoGame 3.0.1 is installed, along with the Windows Phone 8 SDK. I've added a content project and what is essentially a content builder to my MonoGame solution, but the only viable option that I could find for the project type is a Windows Phone Game.
This works without any issues when building .xnb textures, but I can't build any of my effect files as Windows Phone projects don't support custom effects.
Is there any way I can get around this, or am I going to have to roll back to Windows 7?
Thanks for your help!
Advertisement

Well, I rolled back to VS2010 with Windows Phone SDK 7 and that seems to work with Windows 8 :)

You said it's a desktop application, so why do you need Windows Phone SDK, and why are you creating a Windows Phone Game project type?

You said it's a desktop application, so why do you need Windows Phone SDK, and why are you creating a Windows Phone Game project type?

You need the Windows Phone SDK when developing with MonoGame because that's how Microsoft ships XNA these days; XNA doesn't come in it's own standalone library.

MonoGame requires an XNA project to convert texture/effect/sound (stored in an XNA content project) in to the appropriate file format - there is an MonoGame content pipeline being built, but for the moment XNA is still required (as far as I'm aware).

The Windows Phone Game project is the only project type that I could find in the Windows 8 SDK that you can tie a content project to (through a content reference). Building the Windows Phone Game project runs all of the assets in the content project through the asset converters, leaving you with files that MonoGame can load through it's content loader.

Unfortunately Windows Phone Games don't support custom effects, so that knocks out a significant proportion of my content pipeline smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement