• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

Choosing right engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 x_cure   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

Hi,

I want to start develop FPS game for multiplayer only. I want to choose the right engine for the project, and i am stuck between 

XNA and Unity. Since it is a multiplayer game, I can't find info on how server side is implemented and distributed and it is a crucial part of the project.

Thanks in advanced

Sponsor:

#2 menyo   Members   -  Reputation: 484

0Likes

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:21 AM

XNA is more flexible, it also offers a xbox networking library. If you want to build it for PC you need to come up with your own or use a existing network library for C#. XNA is harder, you would need to create you map editor and shaders from scratch where Unity comes with a editor and has handy visual tools for building shaders. Unity would definatly get the job done faster.

Another option would be UDK, it is a very nice engine and has everything in it to create a basic FPS game. It comes with an editor and shader tool like unity too.

Current Project: TechnoFlux read all about it on my

DEV BLOG

#3 Winfield   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

you would need to create you map editor

Unless he's also creating his own map format, this just isn't true.

I'd have a hard time going with XNA anyway, given Microsoft's shaky (and diminishing) support for the platform. Starting a new project in it is just asking for trouble, and porting from XNA to anything else when the well dries up is going to be a pain.

Edited by Winfield, 13 November 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#4 x_cure   Members   -  Reputation: 102

0Likes

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

Yes, this is the part of the thing, I want to create my own map format. Thanks guys for answers.

#5 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 19020

0Likes

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

porting from XNA to anything else when the well dries up is going to be a pain.

Porting to MonoGame should be relatively painless as far as porting goes. :)

#6 menyo   Members   -  Reputation: 484

0Likes

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:36 AM

you would need to create you map editor

Unless he's also creating his own map format, this just isn't true.

I was actually talking about xna without extensions or libraries. You could say that for pretty much anything since for you wouldn't be the first and there is probably a library out there.

Current Project: TechnoFlux read all about it on my

DEV BLOG

#7 Winfield   Members   -  Reputation: 179

0Likes

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

I was actually talking about xna without extensions or libraries. You could say that for pretty much anything since for you wouldn't be the first and there is probably a library out there.

Why would someone reject extensions or libraries? Do starting indie developers have so much time and focus that reinventing the wheel isn't disastrous?

(I realize he said he wanted to make his own map format. I'm just going to ignore that for now because I think you and I are speaking more generally)

Porting to MonoGame should be relatively painless as far as porting goes.

Then he should use MonoGame in the first place! tongue.png

Edited by Winfield, 14 November 2013 - 11:40 AM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS