• Create Account

Mobile version of site not working

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
16 replies to this topic

#1 N.I.B.   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:17 AM

Starting yesterday, when I view the site from my phone (using Chrome) I get the desktop version instead of the mobile version.

'Request desktop site' is unchecked, so it's something else.

Does anybody else has the same issue?

[edit] Title should say NOT working. Too bad I can't edit it.

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17779

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

I've been having the same issue as well, but we haven't been able to track down the specific problem yet -- we recently had to disable some functionality which helped make the layout more responsive due to another problem, so that may possibly be related somehow.

What sort of mobile are you using?

In the meantime, the desktop site seems usable if not quite as nice on mobile.

I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S4 and also using Chrome.

Anyone else experiencing this?

#3 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 28780

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:37 AM

Yeah I'm suddenly getting the desktop site instead of the mobile one too.

This wouldn't be too bad, but... For some reason the standard iPhone "pinch to zoom" and "double tap to zoom" don't work on gdnet, so it's almost unreadable and unnavigable.

#4 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17779

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

Missed this the first time, you can edit the title and/or tags of one of your topics by editing the original post and pressing the "use full editor" button rather than using the quick editor.  I fixed the title of this topic for you. smile.png

#5 N.I.B.   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:44 AM

Missed this the first time, you can edit the title and/or tags of one of your topics by editing the original post and pressing the "use full editor" button rather than using the quick editor.  I fixed the title of this topic for you. smile.png

Cool, thanks!

#6 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3417

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

Yeah I'm suddenly getting the desktop site instead of the mobile one too.
This wouldn't be too bad, but... For some reason the standard iPhone "pinch to zoom" and "double tap to zoom" don't work on gdnet, so it's almost unreadable and unnavigable.

THIS!!!!, the desktop would be completly usable if i could freaking zoom!!, i also noticed it was disabled in the mobile version, please enable zooming.

also, the chat is very limited when on mobile, no user list, can't disable sounds, etc.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#7 N.I.B.   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

Is someone looking into it?
It's really irritating, the site in not really usable on mobile like this.
Apart from not being able to zoom, I also don't see the menu bar on the top.

When I specifically request the mobile version using the link at the bottom I get this message

Fatal error: Call to a member function chatMobileLink() on a non-object in /var/www/gamedev/admin/applications_addon/ips/ipchat/sources/hooks.php on line 276

#8 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5166

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Better?

#9 N.I.B.   Members   -  Reputation: 1105

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

Cool, It's working again.

#10 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17779

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

Excellent!

Just a heads-up that we're still working on some related issues, so we'll do our best to keep everything running smoothly, but you might see some changes or small hiccups on mobile over the next week or so.

Please do report any problems though! :)

#11 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 18284

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Someone tweeted that GameDev.net journals are hard to read on mobile phones, and posted a screenshot.

BbP1OP4IQAECYOL.png

Figured this seemed the most reasonable thread to post it in.

Careless Coder @CarelessLabs tweets:

@JaminGrey @GameDevRobot @gdevnet posts are hard to read on phone. Using nexus 4 :kitkat pic.twitter.com/EOuOaT9Bms

I don't use smartphones myself, so I can't help with testing. I'm also not sure how widespread it is.

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 11 December 2013 - 09:35 PM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                            [Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#12 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3417

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

dev journals have been like that for a long time SotL. not sure what the priority's is for tweaking the mobile layouts, but their is a fair bit of room for improvement imo.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

#13 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17779

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:54 AM

Can you list some more specific issues slicer4ever?

It still needs more work -- particularly with un-squashing the comments to match the content -- but the width of journal entries on mobile displays should be significantly improved; I'd appreciate if anyone could verify for me! smile.png

#14 slicer4ever   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3417

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

On my iphone 4s with safari browser:

Journals are better, but still not taking up the whole screen, only 2/3rd of my screen(took a pic, i'll upload it later.)

Some issues i've noticed:

- Sign out put button is placed off center under username, and guide button is under that.
-chat is functional, but no way to disable sounds/see whos online.
-zoom is disabled, i know things are suppose to be expanded to the phones screen, but that doesn't mean i should not be allowed to zoom in.
-article comments are squished similar to dev journals.
-private messages are squished similar to how journals were.
-the buttons next to chat run onto a second line, potential there for maybe removing/triming?
-numerous areas where text overflows borders(such as in editing this post),
-editing posts is squished.
-not sure if intentional, but since all the user info is ran horizontally in mobile, there is a small dead space under where everyones avatar is, that could be used for text.

I browse the forums nearly everyday on my phone, all of this is mangable, but it'd be nice to see improvments. I even setup a small script to force re-enabling zooming on sites.

#15 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17779

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Journals are better, but still not taking up the whole screen, only 2/3rd of my screen(took a pic, i'll upload it later.)

Yeah, unfortunately I'm having some trouble solving that one -- and I'm still looking for a better solution -- but I figured some improvement was better than none.

Thanks for the list, I'll see if I can figure out any more of those.

#16 fanwars   Members   -  Reputation: 949

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

The mobile version is almost totally unusable. Layout is broken in dev journals, and finding new content requires browsing through several menus.. Posting is painful too. The cursor is reckless in and pasting links and stuff is impossible. The font is needlessly big and zooming is disabled. Several other issues were already mentioned here. Using firefox for android.

Is there any way to use the desktop version of the site on mobile? Requesting desktop site doesn't work. Neither does changing user agent.

#17 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 17779

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:20 AM

Is there any way to use the desktop version of the site on mobile? Requesting desktop site doesn't work. Neither does changing user agent.

You actually are using the desktop version, with some "responsive" changes made to it.  We did have a proper mobile-specific version of the site, but it was even more broken than what we have now.

We realise mobile is becoming more and more important, and we are working on improving it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS