• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Don't forget to read Tuesday's email newsletter for your chance to win a free copy of Construct 2!

Boolean issues

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Psychopathetica   Members   -  Reputation: 195

0Likes

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

I am terribly confused as to why something so simple on other programming languages could be total hell on C++. Ok heres the problem. I have a struct inside a header. And I made an extern variable declared as that structure.

#ifndef INTRO_H
#define INTRO_H

#include "DX.h"

struct Intro_Type
{
	bool Enabled;
	float Time;
	float Milliseconds;
	float Speed;
	LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 Texture;
	float Fade;
	CUSTOM_VERTEX Vertex_List[3];
};

void Load_Blizzard_Logo_Texture();
void Draw_Blizzard_Logo();
void Intro_Loop();

extern Intro_Type Blizzard_Logo;
extern Intro_Type Blizzard_Hold;
extern Intro_Type Blizzard_Fade;

#endif

Basically I'm trying to recreate the intro screen (which is shown before the actual title screen) to the game I was working on off another programming language and porting it to C++. Simple fade in, show a logo for a few seconds and fade out. Problem is, is that the boolean variable Enabled for Blizzard_Hold is not triggering even though the logic behind the code should trigger it. The only time it works is when I have Draw_Blizzard_Logo() commented out.

void Intro_Loop()
{
    Get_Elapsed_Time = (float)timeGetTime();
    if (Blizzard_Logo.Enabled == true)
    {
        Blizzard_Logo.Time = (Get_Elapsed_Time - Blizzard_Logo.Milliseconds) / 1000.0f;
        Fade = int(Blizzard_Fade.Speed * Blizzard_Logo.Time);
        if (Fade > 255)
        {
            Fade = 255;

Blizzard_Logo.Enabled = false;
            Blizzard_Hold.Enabled = true;
            Blizzard_Hold.Milliseconds = Get_Elapsed_Time;
        }
    }
    if (Blizzard_Hold.Enabled == true)
    {
        Blizzard_Hold.Time = (Get_Elapsed_Time - Blizzard_Hold.Milliseconds) / 1000.0f;
        if (Blizzard_Hold.Time >= 5.0f)
        {
            Blizzard_Hold.Enabled = false;
            Blizzard_Fade.Enabled = true;
            Blizzard_Fade.Milliseconds = Get_Elapsed_Time;
        }
    }

if (Blizzard_Fade.Enabled == true)
    {
        Blizzard_Fade.Time = (Get_Elapsed_Time - Blizzard_Fade.Milliseconds) / 1000.0f;
        Fade = 255 - (int)(Blizzard_Fade.Speed * Blizzard_Fade.Time);
        if (Fade <= 0.0f)
        {
            Fade = 0;
            Blizzard_Fade.Enabled = false;
        }
    }
    Draw_Blizzard_Logo(Fade);
}

Basically all the booleans trigger just fine when Draw_Blizzard_Logo(Fade); is commented out. But if its not commented out and I'm displaying the logo, it does the first if statement just fine, but doesn't trigger the next if statement because Blizzard_Hold.Enabled is still false even after Fade >= 255. The only code I got inside that sub routine Draw_Blizzard_Logo is this which shouldn't even effect the if statements at all:

void Draw_Blizzard_Logo(int Fade)
{
	if (Fullscreen_Enabled)
	{
		Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List[0] = Create_Custom_Vertex(0, 0, 0, 1, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255, 255, 255, Fade), 0, 0);
		Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List[1] = Create_Custom_Vertex((float)Screen.BackBufferWidth, 0, 0, 1, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255, 255, 255, Fade), 1, 0);
		Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List[2] = Create_Custom_Vertex(0, (float)Screen.BackBufferHeight, 0, 1, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255, 255, 255, Fade), 0, 1);
		Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List[3] = Create_Custom_Vertex((float)Screen.BackBufferWidth, (float)Screen.BackBufferHeight, 0, 1, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255, 255, 255, Fade), 1, 1);
	}
	else
	{
		Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List[0] = Create_Custom_Vertex(0, 0, 0, 1, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255, 255, 255, Fade), 0, 0);
		Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List[1] = Create_Custom_Vertex((float)Window_Width, 0, 0, 1, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255, 255, 255, Fade), 1, 0);
		Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List[2] = Create_Custom_Vertex(0, (float)Window_Height, 0, 1, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255, 255, 255, Fade), 0, 1);
		Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List[3] = Create_Custom_Vertex((float)Window_Width, (float)Window_Height, 0, 1, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(255, 255, 255, Fade), 1, 1);
	}
	Device->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, true);
	Device->SetTexture(0, Blizzard_Logo.Texture);
	Device->DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2, Blizzard_Logo.Vertex_List, sizeof(CUSTOM_VERTEX));
}

Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I hope I was clear enough about everything. I'm stumpted o.O

Edited by Psychopathetica, 15 November 2013 - 12:10 AM.

Sponsor:

#2 C0lumbo   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2386

6Likes

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

The array Vertex_List is only length 3, but you are writing to the fourth element of it in Draw_Blizzard_Logo. You are writing off the end of the array and splatting the bool value that happens to be sat next to it in memory.

Edit: Bugs like this can be very tricky to track. The technique I'd recommend you learn is how to set hardware breakpoints in your IDE. It's possible to create a breakpoint that will fire when a variable changes. In this sort of situation you could have set a hardware breakpoint on 'Enabled' and that would have led you to the bug

Edited by C0lumbo, 15 November 2013 - 02:13 AM.

#3 Psychopathetica   Members   -  Reputation: 195

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

Yep thats where I messed up. Thank you so much! Now it fades in and out like its suppose to. :D

#4 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 20348

2Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

In C++, basic variables like bools and ints aren't initialized automaticly. Your bools won't start off false, but they start off in a unpredictable state. I can't see in your code whether you are properly initializing them or not.

You can give the struct a non-default constructor to properly initialize the member variables:

struct Intro_Type
{ 
	Intro_Type() : Enabled(false), Time(0.0f), Milliseconds(0.0f), Speed(0.0f), Texture(...), Fade(0.0f)
	{
		Vertex_List[0] = {...};
		Vertex_List[1] = {...};
		Vertex_List[2] = {...};
	}

bool Enabled;
	float Time;
	float Milliseconds;
	float Speed;
	LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 Texture;
	float Fade;
	CUSTOM_VERTEX Vertex_List[3];
};

Alternatively, if you use a compiler that supports the latest C++ standard (C++11), and have C++11 enabled, you can do this:

struct Intro_Type
{ 
	bool Enabled = false;
	float Time = 0.0f;
	float Milliseconds = 0.0f;
	float Speed = 0.0f;
	LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 Texture = ...;
	float Fade = 0.0f;
	CUSTOM_VERTEX Vertex_List[3] = {{...},{...},{...}};
};

With C++, uninitialized variables are kinda like playing russian roulette - you don't know what values are in the variables, so doing if (Blizzard_Logo.Enabled == true) might prove true some of the times your program is ran, and might prove false other times, unpredictably.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.
All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.
Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

[Need web hosting? I personally like A Small Orange]

#5 Psychopathetica   Members   -  Reputation: 195

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

I actually initialized all of em when the program starts. Didnt show it cause it wasn't necessary but Blizzard_Logo.Enabled was true and the other 2 were false ;)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS