• Create Account

Can I write this "How-to" an article?

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Secretmapper   Members   -  Reputation: 865

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

I'm planning to write a simple "The Basics of a Virtual Pet Site" article.

However I'm not sure if it would be on-topic/in-interest for gamedev.net. Do you allow "How to's" such as this.

There's also the question of audience. I might actually rename it to: "The Basics of Multiplayer Games; Creating a Virtual Pet Site" Thought that might be a little bit misleading too.

Any thoughts?

Sponsor:

#2 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18609

1Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

It's welcome here, and we've had "how to" style articles that have been well received in the past.

If you think you can write the article well I'm sure it would be quite popular. smile.png

#3 Secretmapper   Members   -  Reputation: 865

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:28 AM

It's welcome here, and we've had "how to" style articles that have been well received in the past.

If you think you can write the article well I'm sure it would be quite popular. smile.png

Absolutely great to hear!

It'll be interesting to see what I can fit in one article, though that might be pushing it so I might as well create a series. I'd have to make sure to write them all in one go though, since I'm not sure if I'll have the time to be making articles later on unsure.png

Thanks for the help!

#4 Dragonsoulj   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2111

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

It'll be interesting to see what I can fit in one article, though that might be pushing it so I might as well create a series. I'd have to make sure to write them all in one go though, since I'm not sure if I'll have the time to be making articles later on unsure.png

Just remember that you may be writing the "article" all at once, but you plan to break it up when you are finished. Each one should make sense (or at least enough sense) on their own.

#5 jbadams   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 18609

0Likes

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:47 AM

We have an article outlining the publishing process HERE, and Drew "Gaiiden" Sikora (our Content Lead, and the person responsible for approving articles and scheduling their publishing date) provided some tips and advice HERE.  Note that as our editor he has a bit of a dislike of series, but if you're happy to write the whole thing up front or to commit to it they'd be more than welcome!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! smile.png

PARTNERS