• Create Account

Article image resolution

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 CulDeVu   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2258

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

I was thinking about writing an article about triangulation of convex polygons, and I need images to help explain the general algorithm, but the article posting guidelines on the site didn't really go into detail about it.

Massive images, like those produced by vector based images could possibly have a negative impact on load times. What sort of guidelines would you guys suggest?

Also, as a related question, is it okay to use svg files instead of the pre-approved bitmapped file types for images in the articles?

Edited by CulDeVu, 16 November 2013 - 11:32 PM.

I'm sorry about any spelling or grammar mistakes or any undue brevity, as I'm most likely typing on my phone tongue.png

"Hell, there's more evidence that we are just living in a frequency wave that flows in harmonic balance creating the universe and all its existence." ~ GDchat

#2 Brother Bob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9598

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

Don't make them larger than the article appear on a normal-sized screen. Don't make them of ridiculously high resolution just because the source images technically have infinite resolution. Looking through a few article, around 800 pixels wide seems to be a reasonable size in comparison to the article width given the layout of the articles and that they appear to have a fixed pixel-size layout.

#3 Gaiiden   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5507

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

You wouldn't be able to upload vector-image files to the site anyways, so just make sure they are in a format like JPG, PNG or BMP. You can only upload images that are less than 2MB in size as well. If the image is very large, the site will resize it for the article and you can click on it to get the larger version so resolution isn't a big issue, just file format and file size

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer

#4 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 14985

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

just make sure they are in a format like JPG, PNG or BMP

And for the love of all that is holy, please don't use BMP.

(Seriously. That ship has sailed. PNG is always a superior format, for those occasions where JPEG isn't more suitable)

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]