• Create Account

What "Indoor" environment tools do you use?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aspirer   Members   -  Reputation: 544

0Likes

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

I know there are a thousand and one options for "terrain" building tools, but I want to know what tools some of you use for creating indoors environments?  Houses, dungeons, arenas, crypts, spaceship interiors, saloons, whatever.

Sponsor:

#2 Koobazaur   Members   -  Reputation: 691

1Likes

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Blender is always a good free choice, especially since they vastly imrpoved the interface a while back.

Game-specific, I think gtkRadiant was used for Quake BSPs, then you got Unreal's own level editor which was neat too and well suited for indoors given it was based on carving rooms out of "solid space" rather than creating walls in "empty space."

AFAIK, most engines nowadays just make 3D models of various spaces and then dump em onto a 3D scene (unity, UDK, Crysis, torque), maybe with some portals and occlusion culling to help.

Edited by Koobazaur, 18 November 2013 - 10:35 PM.

Postmortem: one must die -  Political narrative-adventure game playing an Agent of Death who must take ONE life that could change the fate of a conflict-torn Nation

Check out my DevBlog for news on the next title!

#3 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1685

1Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Google Sketchup Version 8

Demo:

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS