• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

What 3D modelling software (do you use)?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
23 replies to this topic

#1 tecsperk   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

Hi again!

Just wondering what 3D modelling tool(s) you use for game development.

I heard that Blender might be a good choice for baking lighting into levels.

Anyway, what software do you use for object design and/or level creation?

Sponsor:

#2 tonemgub   Members   -  Reputation: 1143

-1Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=3D+modelling+tool+site%3Agamedev.net

About 4,840 results blink.png.

That's better: https://www.google.com/search?q=%223D+%28modelling|editing%29+tool%22+site%3Agamedev.net&btnG=Search&gbv=1

Edited by tonemgub, 19 November 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#3 FrCoder   Members   -  Reputation: 183

4Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:04 AM

What i like is 

free 

Blender3D http://www.blender.org/download/

art of ilussion http://www.artofillusion.org/

sketchup http://www.sketchup.com/

paid

3dsmax

http://www.autodesk.com/products/autodesk-3ds-max/overview

This is what i know and i use it for my project.

#4 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1633

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

At work, the artists use a mixture of Maya and Max (actually I don't know which is better for what task).
The rest of us coders use Blender, Wings3D or (my personal favorite) a slightly tweaked GtkRadiant to knock up quick test models or placeholders.

Edited by Karsten_, 19 November 2013 - 10:33 AM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

#5 DavidColson   Members   -  Reputation: 311

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

Another software I use regularly is Modo. Modo is commercial, although significantly cheaper than Max and Maya. I like it because it give me the power and support of commercial software without costing the same as a car.

I used Blender for years before I got Modo though, and if you are on a tight budget theres nothing much that competes with Blender. Fantastic toolset with a very lively and helpful community. Also updates are released every couple of months, making for a nice and refreshing release cycle.

#6 tonemgub   Members   -  Reputation: 1143

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

I just found something called "Misfit Model 3D":http://www.misfitcode.com/misfitmodel3d . Never used it, but it looks cool, and the features seem useful.

I don't do much modeling, but I'm always looking for simple tools like this... Anim8or is the last tool I modeled something in, and I found it quite easy to use.

I also created a simple BSP map in GtkRadiant once. Blender, Max, Maya and other such tools are way too advanced for my purpose and I always thought of them as bloatware.

Anyway, the question of what tools to use is irrelevant... You have to know what features you need.

#7 Godmil   Members   -  Reputation: 744

1Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

At work I use (the rarely mentioned) Cinema 4D. It's in a similar class as Max or Maya, but tends to be used more for motion graphics. The main advantage to it is it has an awesome learning curve and intuitive controls... But it can be expensive, but there may be a basic free version, I'll need to look that up.

#8 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 30862

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

We use Softimage (also known as XSI) on my current project, but at all my previous jobs the main tool has either been Maya or Max.

Blender has gotten a lot better in recent years, so it's just as valid of a choice, plus it's free!

#9 Paradigm Shifter   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5405

4Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Strange thing is Autodesk now produce 3DS Max, Maya and Softimage! It's a shame they can't produce decent documentation though :(

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

#10 Vortez   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2704

1Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Beside other programs cited here, i love Amapi 3D. I know, this program is old, and have a few minor ui bugs sometimes, but damn, it's the best tool i ever used for modeling.

Take a like while to get used to, but compared to studio max, it's just waaaaaaaay faster to do stuffs with it (i swear!). Basically, you can do everything from the various icons

in the editor, the mouse, and the spacebar, so you don't need to scroll to a menu each time you want to do something simple.

For example, want to align that sphere perfectly centered to another mesh, let say, a cube, easy! You just click the snap tool, click in the middle of the spere, then click in the middle of the square, done! Want to align only some vertice to another vertice, it's easy as pie.

But that's it, modeling is it's strong force, the rest (rendering, texturing, lighting ect) could be better imo, and i dont think it's been updated since 10 years or so...

Another downside is the .3ds export is kinda broken, but not the .dxf exporter, so it's best to export in .dxf and reimport in 3ds this way.

Still don't beleive me? Take a look a those, it's a complete model of my drum kit in 3d. I would NEVER been able to do this with 3ds max, not even close.

(Everything is modeled down to the bolts and nuts!! ...all i used was a simple ruler!)

pic1, pic2, pic3, pic4, pic5, pic6

Edited by Vortez, 19 November 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#11 tecsperk   Members   -  Reputation: 103

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Where do you get Amapi 3D from?

​I googled it but apparently the company that created it shut down / sold off.  

#12 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3167

0Likes

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:23 AM

Just wondering what 3D modelling tool(s) you use for game development.
In the past I've used Hammer (specific for ID Software-based tech). I then transitioned to Sketchup for some time, but it never cut it. The free version is insufficient in terms of exporting options.

I am using blender at the moment, I greatly recommend it.

As far as I've understood however it isn't better at baking than all other paid software. But for free, that's an accomplishment!

#13 the_mec   Members   -  Reputation: 105

1Likes

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

Ive got

3Ds Max 2014

Maya 2014

Blender

Daz Studio

#14 mawigator   Members   -  Reputation: 391

1Likes

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

Cheetah3D -- cheap, fast learning and quite good features - mesh editing, material composing, animation, IK, physics, rendering (raytrace, caustics, AO, radiosity,...), texture baking, scripting... Disadvantages are in scripting (no access to vertex weights) and few editing tools are strangely implemented. For now, it is everything I need.

#15 ShadowFlar3   Members   -  Reputation: 1258

2Likes

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

If you're just into modeling it's best just to grab Blender, duh.

Its feature set actually competes with the top commercial alternatives that cost many thousand dollars and it's free so you don't have to break any laws to get it. Nobody actually buys products like 3dsmax or Maya without serious plans about making a living out of modeling one day and BTW the competition is tough...

Blender doesn't cost you anything and I'd bet you won't be wanting to invest in any competing commercial software after seeing what it's capable of.

#16 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1643

0Likes

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

I use:

Google Sketchup (technical modeling- buildings and such)
Blender 3D (light mapping/ baking light into meshes, uv unwrapping, texturing,animation)
Wings 3D (box modeling)
Sculptris (sculpting)
Quidam Studio (character generation and sculpting)
Meshlab (viewing models and making technical edits)

My engine is Maratis 3D

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

#17 BHXSpecter   Members   -  Reputation: 1617

1Likes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

I play with Blender, do textures with Gimp (I mainly like programming so I suck at the art though). Had to do a character and animate it in Blender for my game programming degree and it ran bow-legged (definitely not my strong suit).

"Through vengence I was born.Through war I was trained.Through love I was found. Through death I was released. Through release I was given a purpose."

#18 Nathan2222_old   Members   -  Reputation: -400

0Likes

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Blender. I'll use blender + priovr suit for mocap (when the priovr suit is released).

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32
smile.png
--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

#19 Jan2go   Members   -  Reputation: 888

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

If you are a student you can get the Autodesk tools like 3ds Max or Maya for free at students.autodesk.com. Commercial use is not allowed but if you just want to learn using the tools this might be a good option for you.

#20 Karsten_   Members   -  Reputation: 1633

0Likes

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:18 AM

If you are a student you can get the Autodesk tools like 3ds Max or Maya for free at students.autodesk.com. Commercial use is not allowed but if you just want to learn using the tools this might be a good option for you.

Get 'em addicted young ;)

When I do 3D artwork, I use blender but the biggest issue with it is that it changes a little bit too quickly compared to commercial offerings.

Does anyone remember this (not too old) interface?

http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/719/271/71927121_640.jpg

Was replaced with the current one.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Blender_Version_2.570.jpg

Potentially to be replaced again with
http://www.blendernation.com/2013/10/17/new-blender-ui-proposal/

Blender is open-source... but like many open-source projects (i.e Gnome 3) drags in far too many dependencies for a single person to maintain, so it is almost impossible to keep running the version of Blender / interface you like. Though the older interface was a little bit more ugly, it seemed less claustrophobic on smaller laptop screens.

Edited by Karsten_, 20 December 2013 - 05:38 AM.

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS