• Create Account

Feedback/advice needed on how to make a concept reality

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Steamboat G   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm 38, I've been a game tester and writer for Games magazines in the past and worked on creating mods for different games and have been active in many gaming communities.  However I can't program.  For the last few years I've been working on the concept of a next gen of the Close Combat series. 

Because of my extensive experience playing games and because I know what makes games good and addictive for gamers, I recognise trends and know what games will succeed and which ones won't.  I knew Diablo3 and Star Wars the old republic were going to fail.  Maybe not in terms of initial sales, but from a gamer's point of view they failed horribly. I was there the first year when League of legends made its introduction and knew instantly it was going to be a success.  Riot games used a good business model and made the next gen of Dota and pulled out a Steve Jobs with that one.  2 years before that time I told a friend that the business model for a game based on the Virtualgirl concept would be a hole in the market.  Kinda the Active Directory setup with roaming profiles that can buy skins and what not.  Ah yes I'm supposed to be a system and network administrator, but that's not where my real potential lies or at least that's how I feel it.

Last year the desire, motivation, belief that the next gen Close Combat game will succeed increased drastically.  Almost every day it's there and it doesn't let go.  It's like I need to do this.

Is there any advice you can give me on what to do with this?  Try to form a small indie team?  Try to find some investors? Try to learn a language and try out some stuff myself?  Try to knock on the door of an AAA software house and get a kick in the face lol?

Sponsor:

#2 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1352

1Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

I am new to this gaming stuff myself. There are two sides to making a game. There is the technical side and the artistic side. Both of them have to work together to make a complete game. There isn't really a standard on how these two types of discipline should interact. But both are needed for AAA games. 

What you have noticed in the games you have played/reviewed that makes some games do well and others not do well is the Game Mechanics. And as far as the popular AAA video games are concerned, almost all of them don't care to make new interesting mechanics, but the same old ones that sell (Shoot em up til no end). 

One thing you have noticed is also the way society is trained to think these days (that is a major consideration as well). Making games is more than just coding and making 3d models. If you want to understand games more, look up some stuff on game theory and game mechanics. You can start with these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWJLnboKIJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPU_yi9Nv3M

Then you will see that AAA companies are mostly about the money. So chances are they will try the same old stuff that sells, rather than make something new and exciting, unless they see people are getting bored with it.

I took the time to watch several of the above videos to understand games more. I think anyone who plays games or makes them should check them out.

Edited by Tutorial Doctor, 19 November 2013 - 12:03 PM.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

#3 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8477

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Moving this to Business.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#4 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 8477

2Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

Is there any advice you can give me on what to do with this?
1. Try to form a small indie team?
2. Try to find some investors?
3. Try to learn a language and try out some stuff myself?
4. Try to knock on the door of an AAA software house and get a kick in the face lol?

1. That's a viable option. The challenge will be to prove to potential teammates that your plan is worthwhile. Note that I said "plan," not "game idea." You need more than a game idea. You need a plan for what to do with the game once it's finished. And that plan needs to include your potential teammates. And for the idea to really succeed, you should pay your teammates. Which leads us to your #2.

2. That's a viable option. The challenge will be to prove to potential investors that your plan will make money. Note that I said "plan," not "game idea." You need more than a game idea. You need a viable business plan that will earn your investors money back, and then some.

3. That's a viable option. You probably would have already tried that, if you were up for that.

4. That's a viable option. You need to pitch to publishers, not developers. Read http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson11.htm and http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.htm and http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson35.htm

So you have four viable options. To decide between them, I recommend you make a decision grid. http://sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
Actually, you may also need to combine options (like, do 1 and 2 and 3, or 1 and 2 and 4).

Edited by Tom Sloper, 19 November 2013 - 12:21 PM.

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#5 Steamboat G   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thank you for the constructive and helpful feedback Tom.  Same for Tutorial Doctor although nothing new there for me, I still appreciate it.

I'm reading through the articles and going to let it sink in a bit for now. It all may seem disheartening but I'm a realist so I knew this is going to be hard and will take a lot of work.  Yet it feels like I have the key to make a good game with a working business model, I just can't make it lol.  All joking aside, I'm serious about this and take your articles serious as well and have no illusions about success rates. I have to agree with your tables, yet the passion to do this doesn't want to get out of my system if that makes any sense.

Anyway, thanks again guys.

Edited by Steamboat G, 19 November 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#6 cardinal   Members   -  Reputation: 797

0Likes

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Are you looking to make an actual sequel or remake??? Or just a game inspired by Close Combat.

According to Wikipedia there already is a sequel in development (2 in fact), due out next year.

#7 Steamboat G   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

Are you looking to make an actual sequel or remake??? Or just a game inspired by Close Combat.

According to Wikipedia there already is a sequel in development (2 in fact), due out next year.

Well what Matrix Games did last 10 years is rerelease the old titles with some tweaks and bug removals.  So the first one of the games you mention, will be a rerelease again while the other will be a new 3D version. A new AI needs to be written then, as well as a new graphic engine.  There are doubts amongst the community they can do it, looking at what they did last decade.  To be fair though, it might be that they got a budget and have the know how to complete a project of that size.  I would welcome the game anyway.  They said it will be a linear campaign like CC3 instead of a strat map campaign like eg CC5.

I want to take it to another level though based on my knowledge about games and game mechanics and what players want. A lot of it is common sense yet how come a software house like Bioware didn't know that people would hate most of the armor art in SW The old republic? Most skins were just ugly and people posted about it on the forums. I mean come on, it's an MMO, ofcourse people want to play for cool gear, especially when a lot of grind is involved, and in an MMO there usually is. This game had a huge budget and hundreds of people worked on it, yet nobody said:' damn our armor skins look ugly'  Even if they outscourced it,  I just can't figure it out what happened there. I would have never let those designs pass QA, but what do I know, I don't work in the industry.

Edited by Steamboat G, 22 November 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#8 cardinal   Members   -  Reputation: 797

0Likes

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:45 PM

That still doesn't really answer my question though. If you wanted to make a game inspired by close combat, you are legally able to. If you wanted to actually make a game using the close combat name you don't currently legally have the permission. And because someone is currently producing a game in that franchise, you probably would have to pay more than if there weren't. Depending on the current agreements, you might be locked out for years.

Again, if you wanted to make an original strategic war game, you should develop a game design document, and a business plan to see what your requirements (i.e. costs and time) are to build it. At that point, you either form a team (if you have the required funds) or raise the funds through investors or crowd funding. I doubt publishers would bite if you didn't already have a team, so that might be off the table if you don't already have the funds.

Your other option, would be to build the game yourself. If you were extremely lucky you might be able to get a few skilled people that would work for free to help out, but generally skilled people cost.

#9 Steamboat G   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

Ah ok I follow you now. I wouldn't be able to use the close combat name ofcourse.  It was just to indicate what type of game I have in mind which is heavely inspired by Close Combat. 

At the moment I'm still working on the game design document which is actually linked to parts of the business model as well.  Market research was important too and is still ongoing but I have a good idea what people want from a game like this and what makes them hooked.

The advantage is that I can work full-time on it myself for the coming 2 years, but I can't pay for programmers or graphic designers myself without funding.  So I'm debating the options you guys posted. 

Edited by Steamboat G, 27 November 2013 - 03:07 PM.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS