• Create Account

Looking for criticism for my game, harsh is okay to

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
35 replies to this topic

#21 Navezof   Members   -  Reputation: 1189

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

To continue on the side note, I agree with Acharis. Even though I didn't know enough HTML5 to prove anything, I would say that if you want to make games, using a game engine is the quickest way, because game engine are built for this exact purpose. (If you want speed you can also learn C++ and make your own game from scratch, but your development speed will likely decrease. A lot :) )

But, I guess if it's quick little game, html5 would work (and also if you are starting, it's maybe easier, maybe?). But don't expect to redo the new-york jungle from Crysis :D

Sponsor:

#22 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3017

0Likes

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:30 AM

I was a bit confused by the intro screen but game appears solid to me. Pretty good work and very smooth.

CPU was at 100% however could you try some frame limiting features?

Are you using window.requestAnimationFrame or plain callbacks?

#23 aregee   Members   -  Reputation: 941

0Likes

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:28 AM

I really liked the game, although a tad straining to the eyes, it really has potential.

May I come with a few suggestions?

WASD - why does no one make support for both arrow keys and WASD-keys?  I never play with the arrow keys using my right hand.

In the countdown to start playing, you are suddenly thrown into the action of the game.  Maybe it would be better to have the game start, but have the countdown till the action starts instead, to prepare the player.

The next one, I am not so sure about, but why do you move such a massive amount for each click?  Since your movement is locked to boundaries, you assume that you will stay clear of the object that is coming towards you, but end up barely touching it, going kabloom since the objects that are coming towards you is not locked to the same grid as you.  Maybe it would be better to move more smoothly?  If it is done to make it more difficult, I feel it would be more fair to have normal movement.

I constantly have the feeling of wanting to move towards the center of the screen.  Is there a reason you are not allowed to do that?

It is hard to read some of the letters in the text, especially with static underneath.

Lots of "criticism", I know, but I did actually enjoy playing the game.

#24 mepis   Members   -  Reputation: 230

1Likes

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

I really liked the game, although a tad straining to the eyes, it really has potential.

May I come with a few suggestions?

WASD - why does no one make support for both arrow keys and WASD-keys?  I never play with the arrow keys using my right hand.

In the countdown to start playing, you are suddenly thrown into the action of the game.  Maybe it would be better to have the game start, but have the countdown till the action starts instead, to prepare the player.

The next one, I am not so sure about, but why do you move such a massive amount for each click?  Since your movement is locked to boundaries, you assume that you will stay clear of the object that is coming towards you, but end up barely touching it, going kabloom since the objects that are coming towards you is not locked to the same grid as you.  Maybe it would be better to move more smoothly?  If it is done to make it more difficult, I feel it would be more fair to have normal movement.

I constantly have the feeling of wanting to move towards the center of the screen.  Is there a reason you are not allowed to do that?

It is hard to read some of the letters in the text, especially with static underneath.

Lots of "criticism", I know, but I did actually enjoy playing the game.

I appreciate the criticism. :-)

With that said, adding support for 'WASD' wouldn't be hard at all. I wasn't thinking with that. If it give the player more options to do what they feel is more comfortable within the bounds of the game though, I'm all for it.

I've had a couple of comments about being able to move horizontally as well as vertically. I originally left it to horizontal because my thought process was to make the game harder and to keep focus on the squares. Thinking it through though, I see no reason why allowing horizontal movement would decrease game play. In fact, the more I think about it, it might make it more difficult? Just a guess. I'll have to put it in and see what happens. Designing touch controls around that might be cumbersome though. I've never really seen a game with touch controls and 8 way movement that wasn't a pain. I don't know if a good control scheme exists because of the lack of tactile feedback for that. Might be best just to dump touch controls altogether? Just a thought.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Krohm I'm not sure why CPU usage jumped to 50%. The game does try and achieve 60 FPS constant. That might be it. It doesn't jump that high on my system but it is higher than I would have expected. I attributed it to the JS. I am possibly wrong on that though.

I'm on the second page now and can;t see the screen name for the person that explained HTML 5 better in terms of performance (I'm bad with names), but thank you again. I'll eventually move to other languages. Right now I'm just using it to learn the basics of game design stuff. I'm dabbling in C++ with school stuff, java, VB, and a tiny bit of Python. I'm very much a student at this point so anything goes. I'm only laying the foundations right now.

Again, I thank everyone for their feedback. I really appreciate it! This really is an excellent community and I appreciate that people are willing to give honest feedback.

#25 ferrous   Members   -  Reputation: 1864

2Likes

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Depending on how it's written, I would think your game should work just fine with HTML5, as it shouldn't be doing anything computationally intensive.

(That said, if you find yourself doing a lot of optimizations just to get the framerate acceptable, maybe you're better off with a different language/engine/codebase)

The upside of HTML5 over Unity or Flash is that no plugin is required.  It's not a huge deal, but you'd be surprised by how many people will hit the back button on their browser when they encounter a prompt to install the latest version of Flash or Unity Player.

#26 Acharis   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3459

1Likes

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

but you'd be surprised by how many people will hit the back button on their browser when they encounter a prompt to install the latest version of Flash or Unity Player.
In theory. In practice, how many people who like playing online arcade games do not have Flash installed already? :)

(althrough, I have heard some whinning of Flash players who were refusing installing Unity3D, but really, since Kongregate fully supports and promotes Unity3D games I is hard for me to believe those are players worth fighting for)

Tip: do not care about general population, care only about the tiny part of the population who already likes playing the kind of games you are making.

Europe1300.eu - Historical Realistic Medieval Sim (RELEASED!)

#27 Stavros Dimou   Members   -  Reputation: 159

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

The main gameplay is fine,but please consider fixing 2 things:

#1 GUI. It is very convoluted and distracting. I clicked on the Instructions button and then it took me to a screen were it was only a blurry mess. Like you took a 64x64 image file and upscaled it to cover my big 1080p screen. Well if you did that,know that upscaling digital images blur them. It wasn't readable.

#2 Voice Over ? I heard a voice when I 'died' but the recording was so bad quality I didn't understand if it meant anything. It was like a mumble,not an actual word.

#28 mepis   Members   -  Reputation: 230

0Likes

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

The main gameplay is fine,but please consider fixing 2 things:

#1 GUI. It is very convoluted and distracting. I clicked on the Instructions button and then it took me to a screen were it was only a blurry mess. Like you took a 64x64 image file and upscaled it to cover my big 1080p screen. Well if you did that,know that upscaling digital images blur them. It wasn't readable.

#2 Voice Over ? I heard a voice when I 'died' but the recording was so bad quality I didn't understand if it meant anything. It was like a mumble,not an actual word.

Interesting feedback. I never took into consideration 1080P or higher resolutions. My laptop only runs native at 720P. My goal was to keep texture size down. With that said though, it's not exactly a mobile first game. I'll have to run it on my projector and see how it looks and figure something out from there. It is a lower res image so I can see where the browser upscaling it can cause issues. Thanks for the heads up!

The recorded sounds are admittedly bad. I'm using Audacity and my laptops built in mic. I knew those wouldn't be so great from the start but my options with that are limited. I'm still investigating ways to make is better. I'm not much of a sound engineer though and it's not my main focus so I'm going to have to get creative. I knew that would probably be one of my weakest points of the game from the start.

#29 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3017

0Likes

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:28 AM

@Krohm I'm not sure why CPU usage jumped to 50%. The game does try and achieve 60 FPS constant. That might be it. It doesn't jump that high on my system but it is higher than I would have expected. I attributed it to the JS. I am possibly wrong on that though.
It wasn't 50%. It was 100%. But to be honest, I have 3 cpus in my system so your total CPU% in somewhere about 33-37%.

It's still a lot. I suggest to try dropping to 45 fps.

#30 mepis   Members   -  Reputation: 230

1Likes

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

It wasn't 50%. It was 100%. But to be honest, I have 3 cpus in my system so your total CPU% in somewhere about 33-37%.

It's still a lot. I suggest to try dropping to 45 fps.

My bad. I meant %100 when I wrote that and understood what you meant. I didn't mean to minimize the impact.

#31 Krohm   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3017

0Likes

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

No doubt about that. But thank you anyway for expressing your concern, I appreciate it.

#32 Tutorial Doctor   Members   -  Reputation: 1523

0Likes

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I couldn't play it long. The background hurt my eyes and head. Something like that seems it could cause seizure (disclaimer perhaps).

The frame rate made it a little worse too. 

The menu screen is uncomfortable as well. 

But good job anyhow, because you have an actual finished game (I am still trying to complete one). haha. 

Suggestions:

It needs a Theme

Substitute in a character for the ball.

Replace the cubes with other objects.

Add some more mechanics

It is amazing how adding at least one extra good game mechanic can make a game so much more appealing

Some effects

Add some more sound effects

Some particle effects also?

Basically

A little more design to the game would really help. 

I really think that the theme would help it mostly (Angry Birds is just Catapult with a cool theme). 

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

#33 mepis   Members   -  Reputation: 230

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Alright, I made some updates to the game and changed some things. I took the criticism to improve it. I still have plenty to change yet. I figured I would ask, if anyone has a few moments of time, to take a quick look and make sure I'm heading in the right direction with the feedback received so far.  I'm also adding in the change log to make it easier to see exactly what I changed.

As usual, I really appreciate the feedback. The feedback is invaluable, especially being free. This community has been so awesome!

V 1.0.0.4

·         Added new particles for character explosion

·         Added larger black enemy square

V 1.0.0.3

·         Changed text for buttons

·         Increased size of score label

·         Added reactions to cursor hovering

V 1.0.0.2

·         Removed all options and options screen (Sound fx and music)

·         Removed countdown to start

·         Removed wait time to enter game

·         Removed rectangle enemies

·         Removed Distraction

·         Removed instructions screen

·         Cleaned events

·         Removed unused sounds

·         Removed points deduction from firing bullet

V 1.0.0.1

·         Removed Touch controls

·         Removed Kongregate Scoring

·         Added ‘WASD’ movement controls

·         Added 8 way movement

o   Added horizontal and vertical movements in all directions

o   Player is still at a fixed angle

·         Removed scrolling background

·         Removed static and TV border from all screens

·         Removed Pause touch button from player screen

·         Changed basic square enemy to an animated character

·         Reduced collision points on enemies and enemies

·         Reduced regular square to 1 health

·         Removed Static sound from home screen

·         Removed radio frequency sound from options screen

·         Removed chatter sound from instructions screen 

#34 mepis   Members   -  Reputation: 230

0Likes

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Also, I removed the instructions for now until I can think of a better way to implement them. The controls are mostly the same. Arrow keys move the player and space bar fires. I also added 'WASD' support for movement. The green ball that appears randomly is a power up that slows down the generation rate of the red squares.The player earns points by staying alive (1 point per second), destroying the squares, and missing the squares.

Here is a another link to make it easy to find: http://www.kurie.us/2013/11/attack-of-the-squares/

It goes directly to my blog with the game posted in an iFrame. Ignore the rest of the blog. It's a slow hobby thing and doesn't have a lot of compelling stuff. If you want to avoid the blog link, the link on the OP has the link to the game page directly without it being posted in an iFrame. I just thought it would be easier for people to have another link to click through without going back to the OP. 

#35 Adam Moore   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

You've received a lot of good feedback on this. Here's my two cents.

The game isn't challenging enough. There are two enemy types:

• Large Black Boxes that move diagonally.
  • Small Red Boxes that move horizontally.

Given only these two movement patterns, it's too easy to predict enemy movements and shoot/dodge them. You need something to keep the player on their toes. You already have a power-up that moves on a sine wave, why not try implementing an enemy that moves on a lower amplitude? You might also consider adding an enemy that can shoot back.

Also, Red/Green color blindness is the most common form of color blindness. Be careful when using these two colors to symbolize two different things. If you make enemies that can shoot, don't give them red bullets, or at least don't give them bullets that have the same shape as the player's bullets.

#36 powerneg   Members   -  Reputation: 1436

0Likes

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

hmm, interesting short game.

a few things that could be improved:

- the music could be locked to the movement/speed of the squares.

- more enemies etc; maybe walls, levels, basically content.

- the ball doesn't accelerate or whatever, it moves at exact speed where you send it,

if it would accelerate it 'd behave more natural and challenges a player more on his, umm, instinct skills.

a temporal (speed)boost that can be activated to get out of a bad situation would be a welcome addition(or freeze/slowdown of the squares)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS